Duck challenge.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
There are a mated pair of ring-necked ducks that have taken up residence in my pond. I believe they already have a nest, though I don't dare disturb it. Ducklings are likely on the way.

The problem is, they're quite wild, and I can't get close to them. These are the best I could get, at maximum zoom:

IMG_4278_zps5fbe3ac5.jpg

IMG_4284_zps8665f521.jpg

So, I decided to buy some duck food and see if I can convince these ducks that I'm an okay guy. This did not work out quite as well as I had hoped.

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I did not take into account my faithful companion. He followed me down to the pond, and as soon as I'd put out some food for the ducks, he walked over and started eating it. I also realized that no matter how long I waited and remained still, the ducks would not return so long as there was a furball patrolling the shore.

So I decided that for now I'd just take some more pictures of said furball.

IMG_4289_zps14a3d2c0.jpg

IMG_4290_zpsc6d496d9.jpg

^^That last one is a movie.

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Is he meowing or making a "stinky" face? :)

He's gorgeous, by the way. I want to cuddle him.
He had food in his mouth right then. Duck food. :eek:h: *nomnomnom*

I'm not sure this will work even if I lock up Fatbutt. The ducks came back soon enough, but they keep to the middle of the pond and dive for their food. I don't think they even noticed what I put out for them--if it will even appeal to them. Maybe if I got some sort of floating food? Hrm.

Silatuyok

Hmmmm. Cat kibble usually floats. You could try throwing it out to the middle of the pond to see if they are interested. Then Fatbutt can see someone eat his food for a change.

Lamb

He had food in his mouth right then. Duck food. :eek:h: *nomnomnom*

I'm not sure this will work even if I lock up Fatbutt. The ducks came back soon enough, but they keep to the middle of the pond and dive for their food. I don't think they even noticed what I put out for them--if it will even appeal to them. Maybe if I got some sort of floating food? Hrm.

You can try corn.
Gorgeous cat, does he follow you around everywhere? That's pretty neat.