dry cleaners

LazyHermitCrab

Something awkward always seems to happen and I make it happen. Today I went in the cleaners and my voice cracked suddenly. My voice was totally okay before going in. It sounded like I lost my voice, so I pretended in my head "I was sick." He asked for the last 2 numbers on my phone and I gave 3 and got embarrassed because i know what 2 numbers is and yet I said the last 3 x.x he knew I was embarrassed and said "you got it girl" because he knew I was embarrassed. I felt like I was blushing and the lights were really bright. He gave me the clothes and then I left bumping on the door first o_O and said goodbye in my normal voice so now he probably knows I wasn't sick. Am I the only one awkward at the dry cleaners if you go?

Livemylife

I've never p8icked up anything from the dry cleaners...Just wanted to say that this sounds like a story told through the eyes of someone with social phobia. I feel like if I saw the event occur myself, I wouldn't have thought all those things. Even if he thought you were embarrassed, so what? Will it truly impact your future that much?

sahxox

The social-phobic mind is biased against itself when replaying these situations, amplifying weakness at the cost of rationale. I like to challenge it by asking the question; will it matter in 5 years time?
The important thing here is not to let it get you down... because this makes social anxiety worse, as you carry these failures with you before going next time, which will make you conscious of your behaviour and this is where the wheels fall off.
I try to counter the effects of awkward situations/performances by looking for any potential humour in the situation... the other day, I handed a customer a tray of food at work and it spilled over the counter. I felt like a retard, but then went down the back and had a laugh (after I'd apologised and fixed it) because I don't deserve to be punished over an honest mistake. Let's think about it, a goofy performance like this is good for lol's.
And consequently I have not come close to doing it since... because I let any guilt go and without fear I can function freely and avoid 'awkwardness.'

I read somewhere the other day that 70% of people rethink at night what they should've/should not have said in a conversation at some point earlier that day. Yep, that's the extroverts, introverts, public speakers, sales people blah blah blah everyone feels this way at one point or another. We are just more prone to it. Don't let it get you down and good luck :)