Drug class SSRI. Is It helpful for SA?

Dj SL

I think it is not helpful I tried prozac, zoloft, celexa, paxil... and all of them didn't work for me. I talked with a neurologist... She said SSRI's drugs doesn't really help to get rid of Social anxiety because they block the prefrontal cortex (front part of the brain). They decrese: Memory, energy, logic...

Remus

Staff member
I've been on a few of these over the years for social anxiety, I noticed zero improvement and by 2004 gave up on SSRI's, I've only seen a few people say that they help to improve their social anxiety.

They decrese: Memory, energy, logic...

Wow. I've been on the stuff for 20 years and I didn't know that about memory and logic. That makes a great deal of sense because I do have a "dumbed down" feeling. Still, being dumbed down beats the hell out of feeling depressed.

babegolden20

i think the pills only help mask some of the symtoms of
sa not the actual problem itself you would have to work on it yourself to get better at it

missjesss

Banned
They only aid with some of the crippling symptoms of s.a and depression which can help keep you on track against your s.a and keep you balanced & motivated at overcoming it.

S.A is really just about past experiences and self confidence, thoughts etc that has built up over the years

LostViking

Unless I'm entirely mistaken, SSRIs are mainly anti-depressants. Some, if not most, of them also have an anxiety dampening effect however. Thus they can end up as a win for someone with anxiety, and a double-win for someone with anxiety and depression as well, finding the right SSRI and dosage for you can be quite annoying however.

From personal experience I dare say they'll at the very least keep your mood more stable, and take the sting out of the anxiety.

Pachito

I've been on zoloft for 5 months now I do feel better than before, but idk i guess its because I believe that i had or have a chemical inbalance. I used drugs to control my SA and one time i got a seizure from a tramadol overdose crushed 8 pills and ate it. ::(: bad memories...

Apotheosis

I've taken Zoloft and Lexapro in the past (as well as several non SSRIs), but though my psychiatrist said they would, neither affected SA at all.

To be honest, I've always felt better off medication than on with the exception of one-shots like Klonopin and Xanax. However I tend to avoid prescriptions like that because my family has a serious history of addiction.

Most people react differently because of the nature of the medication so if you haven't tried them before it's worth a shot, but my personal experience yielded nil.

amnesiacinsomniac

SSRI's have not been helpful in my 10 year span of taking meds. It's what doctors will try first of course, hoping that your case is not a hard one. For those of us who have debilitating social anxiety, ssri's are almost like taking candy. Well.... candy with bad side effects. Meaning they will do nothing helpful for your SA. I have found meds more in the bipolar-schizophrenia category that work WONDERS! for SA. That is... give you a helping hand in coping. Remember.. no medication is a cure-all. It's only part of the battle and the rest is up to you! But if it gets you up off the floor bawling your eyeballs out and wanting to end your life then I call that a win situation.

amnesiacinsomniac

S.A is really just about past experiences and self confidence, thoughts etc that has built up over the years

I beg to differ... Some of us are born with this. With vivid memorable experiences of symptoms of very early age. If it were simply about experience and confidence... I think a 4 year old would not have a full blown panic attack along with all the symptoms that come with SA.

If SA were only about experience and self confidence I'd be WAYYYY *over* it.

Unfortunately it's not true. I only wish it were. If that is truly what you feel SA is... your views are very misconstrued and I would do a bit more research!

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I beg to differ... Some of us are born with this. With vivid memorable experiences of symptoms of very early age. If it were simply about experience and confidence... I think a 4 year old would not have a full blown panic attack along with all the symptoms that come with SA.

If SA were only about experience and self confidence I'd be WAYYYY *over* it.

Unfortunately it's not true. I only wish it were. If that is truly what you feel SA is... your views are very misconstrued and I would do a bit more research!

I think you BOTH are right. It isn't ONLY a matter of being born with it either nor merely experiences/confidence - it's all affecting. All varies. Not everyone with SA had panic attacks at 4... nothings all the same.

So yes, SSRI can help, ppl have shown it - and not help too. Everyone reacts differently. I firmly believe meds are not a one all solution; not against it at all - but through life we develop thought patterns, lack development in other areas due to avoidance and SA and other issues, habits, behavior, etc. Meds won't fix/solve all those problems. =) BUT it can make it easier and for some I think with not as severe SA help a lot more if their body can tolerate it. These aren't nonpowerful drugs.

Josette

I took Paxil for 10 years, and I can't honestly say whether it helped or not. Also, it has an unpleasant withdrawal (which is why I avoided switching to a different medication for so long!). I finally stopped and started on Welbutrin (not an SSRI). It doesn't make the SA go away but it does stabilize your mood, make you feel a bit cheerier, less depressed.

I think it's highly dependent on the person. Some people will respond well to one drug that drives another crazy. I have a friend who uses a drug that is rarely prescribed to anyone since the 70s but it works for her, so that's what she uses.

Davevanza

I have tried SSRIs and SNRIs, as to me, they didn't work for Social Anxiety.

Pregabalin does help me. But the cost is very expensive