Driving with Hyperhidrosis :(

VainCape

So I'm turning 19 in a couple of months and my parents are adamant that they teach me how to drive now (since I have been trying to avoid for a long time now due to my sweaty hands). And just the thought is freaking me out because I won't be able to firmly grasp the wheel, let alone drive the car. :(

So if those of you who drive could give me some tips on how to stop or at least reduce the HH on my hands, I would be grateful.

ukchick

Leather gloves? I used a steering wheel cover too when I was younger,helped me grip loads better.Try and drive with the air con on or window open,may help reduce your hand sweating. Good luck x

hyp-hi

Don't grip the wheel so much. Alternate by drying your hands on your pants when you need it. Angle the vents so the air blows on your hands when they are on the wheel. I find this helps keep them more dry.

Sprawling

Somehow I just managed driving with my sweaty hands as I have done with everything else. Everything was/is a challenge with HH. In my opinion, driving is no different. Keep a wash cloth or small towel handy to wipe off some of the sweat. Cotton gardening cloves with the little rubber grips can help while you are learning. In time you'll adapt and just be able to drive with sweaty hands... unless not.

VainCape

Thanks for the reply guys, :) im trying my best to work with what I have got in my current circumstances. Ideally I would prefer using gloves when I am driving alone but for now I am going to have to do without them.

Modam

Hi VainCape,

Luckily steering wheels aren't that hard to move and they also usually have some sort of spoke (?) you can grab on to, or stick your wrist in to stop it from moving. Having a firm grip turns out not to be that important. Frankly, you could almost drive with your wrists if you had too (not that I'd recommend it).

good luck! Sweaty hands never really bothered me while driving, hopefully you'll find it less an issue than you expected. I often turn the vents to my hands, and put my hands in front of the vents at stop signs and traffic lights. I find that helps a lot.