Driving.. omg!

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I hated learning to drive. I had an instructor and also went out driving with my dad. I used to get really nervous with them both. I don't think driving with my dad helped at all. He has no patience and expected me to know everything even though I hadn't been taught. Say I stalled or did something wrong he would get angry instaid of telling me what I had done wrong.

After I passed the tests it took me a long time to get fully confident on the road. Now driving is probably the one thing I am really confident with. It's a good job really because I work in a garage so have now driven hundreds of different cars.

My dad was the same way. I went driving with him one time and then swore never again. I was lucky because he and my mother were divorced by this time and he had no custody, so I didn't have to. Not that he volunteered, Ha Ha.

But I agree with the above in that driving is one of the things I'm really grateful for now. It was a pain to get my license, I was so afraid to even test for it (I was nearly 20 by the time I got it) but now I couldn't live without that release that driving gives me.

Iseesky

I completely know how you feel! I wouldn't say I'm bad at it, it just makes me extremely nervous! I'm afraid I'll be stuck in a confusing situation and won't know what to do and get into trouble some way or another. I still don't have my full license. I can only drive with an adult...I could go to get my full license, but that would require practising, getting lessons and having to sit in a car with an instructor. D:

I can't really remember much about learning to drive... I think I was a little nervous, and I didn't even practice that much before getting my license. I think I just jumped in and got used to it quickly enough. The only time I get anxious or nervous when driving is if I'm in an unfamiliar area. I freak out if I don't have a map and detailed directions with me. On a few occasions, I went to a place where I forgot to get the return directions, and it wasn't simply following them in reverse because of all the one way streets in the area... once I even ended up making an illegal u-turn as I didn't see the no u-turn sign until I was already doing it, and I probably would have ended up lost if I had to go further out of the way.

This aside, I actually love driving/traveling- when I'm in an area I'm familiar with, driving is one of the few or only situations where I'm actually assertive/aggressive.

Last edited:

Social_Monstrosity

I'm about to turn 19 and I still don't have my license or even my permit (Well I had my permit for a while but it expired after I was too afraid to attempt getting my license) and my family gives me hell for not knowing how to drive all the time :(

Eam

I hate driving if it's any place I have never been before. I can drive around my own town or to places I frequent without any problems at all. But if I have to drive somewhere I have never been before then I get very anxious. I usual get lost too since I'm concentrating more on how I feel then on the landmarks or street names I need to look for.

I'm the same here. I suppose I sort of enjoy driving routes I go regularly. But if I have to drive somewhere I've never been before, through huge multi-lane roundabouts...:eek:.

I could go to get my full license, but that would require practising, getting lessons and having to sit in a car with an instructor. D:

Yes! I absolutely hated the small talk part of learning to drive. Having to discuss what you're up to at the weekend, or what you've done the previous week, every week with your instructor. Horrible for someone with SA. My instructor was also difficult to be around, and would get mad and say things like 'Why did you do that?' it's not like I meant to make the bloody mistake!

It does give you a confidence boost though, if you can persevere and get your license. Just get a nice, understanding instructor.

Last edited: