Don't want to have a relationship no matter what

Fighter86

Don't think a real relationship is for me, close mate without the commitment and stress that comes along with relationships works just fine for me. That is not to rule out a relationship never happening though, I might eventually venture into one, provided I come upon a partner I feel is suitable.

Why is this a conflict? If you don't want to be in a relationship then don't be. It's that simple. You are in charge here.

Kinetik

I felt this way til I was about 18 or so; up til that point I cherished my freedom and considered people in relationships suckers. Then all of a sudden my primal side took over and it became something of a mission to date women - I felt like I'd been lagging behind and for some reason my ego couldn't take being alone anymore. As of that moment my mind equated it with being pathetic and unattractive, and I felt driven to put myself out there, forcing myself to date many different women back-to-back despite my fears. It culminated in a rushed, naive marriage a few years ago, which ended in divorce. It was a weird, almost overnight change, and in hindsight I think it was part of some desperate attempt to feel and appear normal. Nowadays I'm just trying to calm everything down and be me, but that's not always easy. It will have to be baby steps, I guess.

Last edited:

MsBuzzkillington

I feel the same way. I have met people that I have liked to hang out with/date, but I like having my alone time too.

I don't know how they can stand being around each other so much and then get disappointed when they can't see each other very often. Coworkers or friends of mine in serious relationships/marriages always say " I haven't been able to spend time with my husband/boyfriend all week, ugh I miss him so much!" I just don't get it. How can you be around someone that much and not die of boredom?

I think there are enough people in the world that you can find someone who agrees with how you feel about this. Like maybe a casual girlfriend/an open relationship. I would like something that was still serious but not serious at the same time. Like if I wanted to go do my own thing, I could, without it causing any problems. If they found a girl they though was cute, they could take her out, not problems. But like, we were still "together." That probably doesn't make any sense, but if something like that were possible, it would be nice.