Dog therapy

April72

I'd like to honour these little hairy balls with this thread and mainly, I'd like to encourage you to put a dog in your life.

My heart breaks each time I have a new about a dog that is abandomed or mistreated. For example, some days ago, in my own city, a doggie was put into a rubbish container. Luckily, someone heard and rescued him. The doggie was about to die but I'm sure that with cares, he will go through it.

Some years ago, I began a progressive social exposure therapy. As I always felt comfortable with dogs and I love them, my first step to overcome wasn't greeting people but greeting dogs. Then, I had to stablish a conversation with the owners.

Two years later, I owned my first doggie. She meant not only affection but only a kind of therapy. I wasn't sure to be able to manage my own dog but she learnt me to have confidence. She makes me go out of home, she makes me meet new people or simply talk to other doggies owners.
Then, I decided to adopt a new dog and the benefits grow up.
They are my best friends.

Put a dog in your life.:)

DeLasDudasInfinitas

I agree with you. :) I have a dog too and he's the one I love most. I wish I could give him years of my life to stay with him more time...

ScaredToBreathe

Dogs are awesome. They are one of my favourite animals and I agree they can be very therapeutic. Right now I have many pets and feel most comfortable around them; they are therapeutic companions. I do not have a dog but I am planning to adopt one within a few months and I believe he/she will help me get out more and be a better person. At my university they have a 'paws for stress' event every year where students can go into a room filled with dogs and their owners. The point is to be able to show and receive affection, pet, or learn about the dogs to relieve stress or depression. Interestingly, studies show that people who own dogs tend to be more empathetic than people who own other pets or no pets. The benefits of a canine companion are limitless. Great topic!

April72

It's really great what it is done in your University.

I saw in a César Millán's program, how dogs are used to help in prisoners' rehabilitation. I don't know if you know César Millan, he is the Dog's Whisperer on a TV program. I knew a lot about him because this is the first time I owned a dog.

PerseverareJasmine

I'm glad the dog from your city was able to be rescued. I've never understood what is going through a person's mind who wants to abuse or neglect an innocent animal. Not sure if I'd want to understand it actually. I agree that dogs can be helpful in many ways. I have a Boxer named Spanky and like I've seen others in this forum who have pets say, I really can call him a best friend. He's definitely brought a lot of joy and love into my life. I'm glad that your dogs seem to be doing the same for you.

MollyBeGood

It's really great what it is done in your University.

I saw in a César Millán's program, how dogs are used to help in prisoners' rehabilitation. I don't know if you know César Millan, he is the Dog's Whisperer on a TV program. I knew a lot about him because this is the first time I owned a dog.

Dogs are the best! I just saw a clip about Cesar and he apparently become suicidal after the death of "Daddy" his pit bull (and his wife wanted to divorce him and he got screwed out of most all of his money from his books/show from producers)..I couldn't believe he almost ended his life! I am so glad he is better now...I would have been a wreck if that happened for sure!

April72

Agreed! César Millán is one of my ídols. He came to Spain to do a program to encourage people to adopt abandomed dogs. He helped the dog with its issues to make easier the dog could be adopted and at the same time, he advised the right family to adopt each dog.