Does xanax help with SA

Jess123

I am kind of desperate and suicidal and I just want something to stop the paralysing irrational fear I feel when I am in a social situation. I don't give a **** if it's addictive, but does Xanax help?

Lavinialuna

YES 0_0.

If taken responsibly it is very helpful. Only take it when necessary and try not to over do it and it works wonders. It blocks stress hormones. I don't like hearing it is "addictive", I prefer to think it has potential for abuse if in the hands of an abuser. I personally have taken benzodiazapines on and off for the past 20 years and I never had a problem weening off (when I was pregnant etc.) but you will need to ween if you take it regularly for a long period... but the same can be said about SSRI's. Actually I have found SSRI's to be equally as hard to ween from.
Just an opinion, I am of course, not a Dr.

Jess123

Thanks for the advice, do you know if you can just ask a GP for it? I talked to my psychiatrist about it but she wouldn't give me any so now I am going to try the doctor. Did a doctor prescribe it for you?

Last edited:

Lavinialuna

I have a psychiatrist and they really don't like to give it out anymore, but I personally can't take SSRI's because they give me migraines and I have other reactions to other medications, so he reluctantly gave me clonazepam. I had taken it in the past, and I knew it worked without side effects for me so he agreed.
The tricky thing is asking without sounding like you are "seeking" drugs to abuse them. They are so paranoid now that people take them for fun, and it's unfair because so many of us actually need this medication to function normally. It's a shame. I really believe it isn't something we can control, it's how we are wired, and you can't change that.
If you go to your regular Dr. don't say "my shrink won't give me any" say "I am having this un-controlled anxiety. My aunt/sister/friend has it too. She told me she takes clonazepam. Do you think this could help me too?" Also tell them what you have already tried (antidepressants, exercise, diet change etc.) They may or may not give you any.
I only get 20 pills a month and I have to use them wisely- they are that cautious- and I have no record of abuse! They are just so careful these days! I try to only take them if I know I am going out, or if I am having an attack. I make sure to save extra for PMS time when anxiety is exaggerated, lol!
Yoga works wonders for me. A good bath also works. Live as stress free as possible. If you need to step back and avoid people for awhile, do it. Get your bearings straight and then you will be able to move forward again. Accept your limitations and treat yourself like a precious item. If you pray, pray.
If your psychiatrist won't give you any, try another Dr. (but don't hop around too much, it looks suspicious, like you are seeking). You can also try Buspar (anti-anxiety that isn't addictive) or other anxiety reducing drugs, but do your homework as some have side effects. I think it is so stupid that they would rather tinker with your brain chemicals with antidepressants than just give you an anti-anxiety. That is what they are for!
But no matter what happens, don't lose hope.

Last edited:

bcsr

it can treat the physical symptoms of anxiety, but don't think of any medicine as a "cure." medications should be used to help ease the symptoms while you work through a therapy program.