Does video chatting help decrease SA?

jaim38

I spoke to strangers on skype (without webcam on) for about 2 weeks already and it did decrease my SA a bit. I helped foreigners with their English. I feel more comfortable speaking with foreigners because I can mess up as many times as I want without feeling like a freak. But if I speak to native English speakers, it's awkward because they will be better conversationalists than me.

Last edited:

rosewood

then would the SA forum be the place to ask people to practice socializing on (or vdeo messenger on yahoo)or not? what do you think?

A86

i thought id try the random text chat on those sites out of curiosity. after 7 random chats with 7 random people... seems like there is a theme... the first question asked is my gender, then the leave/quit the session after finding out I am male. so far not liking the vibe/feeling of being abandoned so quickly and consistently.

A86

crikey. 34th conversation was the charm, had a nice chat with some fellow. seems the majority of users (the other 33) are perverted male sleazebags. makes me feel guilty and ashamed to be male.

A86

haha I ended up playing around on that site the whole bloody night.

I have to say, after an hour or so I think the realisation that it really is anonymous sank in and started to feel more comfortable & less anxious. The conversations from all the sleazebags affected me less and I did manage to hold conversations with a few good people.

I don't know if it decreased my SA overall but i definitely started to feel more comfortable text chatting (I may end up posting more responses on this site and chat room - watch out!)

Can not bring myself to video chat though... maybe I should just hold my breath and give it a go... first steps are often the hardest.

mixedupgirl

Well I have been skyping with someone from SPW we do the video which was scary at first but now its fine and we just type instead of talkin. It was really scary at first, didn't want to be on vid but now its fine. We spoke on voice once briefly but we prefer the typing for now...it is good for confidence and it's good because your both feelin pretty much the same so you don't feel guilty for any slight pauses etc.

rosewood

haha I ended up playing around on that site the whole bloody night.

I have to say, after an hour or so I think the realisation that it really is anonymous sank in and started to feel more comfortable & less anxious. The conversations from all the sleazebags affected me less and I did manage to hold conversations with a few good people.

I don't know if it decreased my SA overall but i definitely started to feel more comfortable text chatting (I may end up posting more responses on this site and chat room - watch out!)

Can not bring myself to video chat though... maybe I should just hold my breath and give it a go... first steps are often the hardest.

My God you are Brave. So if you want to try with someone here, i might be on the list, I am too scared to do what you did though.. very brave of you.

rosewood

Well I have been skyping with someone from SPW we do the video which was scary at first but now its fine and we just type instead of talkin. It was really scary at first, didn't want to be on vid but now its fine. We spoke on voice once briefly but we prefer the typing for now...it is good for confidence and it's good because your both feelin pretty much the same so you don't feel guilty for any slight pauses etc.
you are very brave, good job.

mixedupgirl

you are very brave, good job.

haha well you could do it too Rose you could start off by skyping in text and then move on to vid and text...u don't have to actually talk and u could keep it brief to start off with. You could do it, you just have to build up to it slowly.