Does this sound like a good idea?

Back in January, before I realized I had SA, I started writing what I call a "pure conscious stream" (most people would probably call it a diary or something, but I don't like being so simplistic). Whatever I thought at the time of writing I wrote. It contained SO much personal information that I'd never have considered telling anyone, I kept it in a text document, in a hidden folder, which was inside of one of 55 seemingly identical folders, which were, themselves, in one more huge hidden folder. I have written in it almost everyday since.
A few weeks ago, I let the one friend I have who understood me read it. He said it made him and everybody else look incredibly sane by comparison, but it also very accurately documented how an SA suffering person, such as myself, thinks. Everybody in my school knows I'm quiet, but nobody knows why, so they make their own little theories. "He's just shy", "he doesn't like us", "he doesn't have anything interesting to say anyway", etc.
Anyway, I recently decided that I don't care who reads my document, because I want people to understand what's going through my mind when I don't talk to them. Tommorrow, unless I find a serious reason not to, I'm printing it, and leaving it where someone will find it.
Basically, the document contains names of girls I like but I can't talk to, and all the thinking about them I do, along with just about everything else I've ever caught myself thinking. If those aforementioned girls were to read it, they would probably want some answers from me, but if I could talk to them, I wouldn't have needed that document in the first place.
If you want me to expand on anything, go ahead and ask, but do you think it's a good idea to reveal my personal secrets to everybody I know and then some just so they can understand me better? Seems like something I'll regret later.

Last edited:

Dave_McFadden

I think it's a good idea to keep a diary (sorry) of your thoughts and your SA experience. I've been doing the same thing for the past year or so and I think it's really helped me understand some of my own thoughts and feelings. Like you, I've even recently shared some of those thoughts with a friend. However, I don't think it would be a good idea for you to go around and reveal this to everyone you know. What would you gain from that? Maybe some people would understand you better, but most people would probably not change their opinion, unless you suddenly started talking more.

Pyrophosphate said:
Basically, the document contains names of girls I like but I can't talk to, and all the thinking about them I do, along with just about everything else I've ever caught myself thinking. If those aforementioned girls were to read it, they would probably want some answers from me, but if I could talk to them, I wouldn't have needed that document in the first place.

Well, on the bright side, they probably wouldn't think you were gay anymore. Although that might creep out all the girls you like.

social_failure

That seems like a pretty good idea to me. I have actually done the kinda same thing recently. I just always leave some sort of message in things that I send to people (like in emails or in messenger sigs). I never blatantly put "I have SP" or something, just something that hints at it, like the diagnosis code for SP (ICD-10 F40.1) :wink:.
...But leaving something that will completely explain yourself is much better. I just wouldn't reveal it to everybody, only like a few close friends. plus, doing it this way, you wont have to explain yourself as much, because most of it is already in the document. I'd have done the same thing already, but I just couldn't build up the nerve to do it, so if you can manage to, good for you.

and I do know what a pyrophosphate is, by the way. :lol: :wink:

Tab

I don't think its a very good idea cuz some people won't react in a positive understanding way as your friend did.

Personally I could never reveal everything about me to anyone. I can't explain it. the thought of someone knowing exactly how I think isn't exactly...appealing to me. I dunno I'm too tired right now to explain it. I just don't think its a good idea.

Infected_Malignity

Absolutely. Once it's out in the open, no matter what people think of it, I'm sure you'll be the one to benefit from it the most. Plus, it'll make you the boldest shy guy here... and if you really do what you say you're going to, I wouldn't doubt you'll probably end up curing yourself entirely.

So in short... YES, YES, YES, YES!!

I've decided to do this whole thing tomorrow (Thursday) because it turned out to be a lot of printing.
Infected_Malignity said:
Plus, it'll make you the boldest shy guy here... and if you really do what you say you're going to, I wouldn't doubt you'll probably end up curing yourself entirely.
It almost makes me think if I AM entirely cured I might start to be too impulsive...

Maybe some people would understand you better, but most people would probably not change their opinion, unless you suddenly started talking more.
If one person even reads the whole thing, I'll be satisfied. I know it's not going to cause some kind of massive thinking revolution or something like that, but I don't like keeping this stuff that's mostly about other people from those people.

Well, on the bright side, they probably wouldn't think you were gay anymore. Although that might creep out all the girls you like.
I don't really care if they're afraid of me, I just want their attention.

And if you thought it'd be creepy before, my friend wants to put a copy of it directly into each of the girls' lockers. That will turn out kinda weird, and I'm not sure how I'm going to explain that one, but I guess it will force me to go against my SA, which is... good?

chris420

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to say no. My guess is those girls will probably avoid you after this, and most people really don't want to know all that stuff. Psychological probs are just not cool with most people, like it or not; you could just be creating a bunch of problems for yourself here.

But if you really want to do it still then go ahead, at least you'll learn something from the experience. Let us know how it goes.

chris420 said:
My guess is those girls will probably avoid you after this
That would change nothing... the last girl I liked, 4 years ago, I didn't talk to because she REALLY didn't like me, but I didn't have SA. My family then moved 200 miles away, leaving me with no method of communication with her. For the last 4 years, because she never knew how I felt, I thought about her every single moment that I could, and I'm pretty sure that's what caused my SA. I don't want that to happen again. This is really punching the core of my problem, and no matter what anybody here said, I was probably gonna go through with this anyway.
So, there you go... a little personal history.

BTW: In February, I tried contacting the aforementioned girl on Myspace, but she doesn't remember me...

Yeah, I'd have to say this sounds like a bad idea. Or at best, pointless. Whoever discovers it likely isn't going to care, or take the time to read through it, and they *surely* aren't going to understand it. If anything, it will just give people a reason to give you more crap.

Everybody brought up some good points, both for and against, so I was thinking... should I post it here first so you can see just what kind of document I'm talking about? I probably seem like I'm overwilling to spill my secrets on other people, but this could be the fatal blow to my SA. It just seems like the stuff in this document is all my SA tries to protect, and the people I'd give it to are the ones I protect it from. But anyway... I'll keep you posted if I go with it.

TAMPA-BAY

No thats not a good idea. Most wont understand thats assumeing they take the time to read it.

Dont do it. Do this instead. I mean what you are doing now. Posting on Anxiety sites. Joing additional sites like this one and post your issues on them. You will get alot more feed back and reliable input. And not having to hide in shame will help heal your anxiety.

Number one your peers are too young to know about anxiety. There is a small chance that some one else who is shy might stumble upon your log and telll you they have the same problem but thats a one in a million chance.

desperatehousewife

It is too extreme that you let people know your all feelings.Yes, we have to talk each other, share people.But that does not mean we must write all thoughts on a paper or something else and than let people read it.It can be dangerous and bad people can use it for blackmailing you.You should be careful...
Do not write anything to anywhere.Just talk people and share your emotions, but not everything...Some events must be special for you.
You did a mistake I think, do not be sad, just take lessons from it.Next time, behave differently.

alter_ego

Pyrophosphate said:
Back in January, before I realized I had SA, I started writing what I call a "pure conscious stream" (most people would probably call it a diary or something, but I don't like being so simplistic). Whatever I thought at the time of writing I wrote. It contained SO much personal information that I'd never have considered telling anyone, I kept it in a text document, in a hidden folder, which was inside of one of 55 seemingly identical folders, which were, themselves, in one more huge hidden folder. I have written in it almost everyday since.
A few weeks ago, I let the one friend I have who understood me read it. He said it made him and everybody else look incredibly sane by comparison, but it also very accurately documented how an SA suffering person, such as myself, thinks. Everybody in my school knows I'm quiet, but nobody knows why, so they make their own little theories. "He's just shy", "he doesn't like us", "he doesn't have anything interesting to say anyway", or, somehow they thought of "He's just gay." I usually don't care what people think of me, but that last one hurts.
Anyway, I recently decided that I don't care who reads my document, because I want people to understand what's going through my mind when I don't talk to them. Tommorrow, unless I find a serious reason not to, I'm printing it, and leaving it where someone will find it.
If you want me to expand on anything, go ahead and ask, but do you think it's a good idea to reveal my personal secrets to everybody I know and then some just so they can understand me better? Seems like something I'll regret later.

DON'T!!! You are lucky your friend is ...ahem..."supportive". I have to say I wonder about that with his peculiar remark that you "made everyone else seem sane" and even more peculiar suggestion that you put printed copies of your thoughts to put in the girls' lockers 8O - DON'T!!!! That would seriously freak anyone out and why alienate the girls you like even further than you imagine you do now? How do you know you do? SA means we often see ourselves in a poor and untrue light.

I once read somewhere that diaries are dangerous and I agree. Everyone has a right to their privacy. You have yours. Keep it.

If you feel you HAVE to share your thoughts just do it anonymously via forums like this. :)

krs2snow said:
Hi Pyrophosphate. Did you do it?? Hurry up and spill! :D
Yes, I did. Unfortunately, I can't find out what happened with it until Tuesday. I'll probably regret this later, but theres always a very small chance that someting really good could happen. This will probably be the longest weekend of my life...

tpdarlo

The truth shall set you free, but in the case of psychological disorders you'll freak a lot of people out. It's unfortunate but very few humans are altruistic in this sense, most will distance themselves from you, it's an innate form of self preservation.

Today, the girl whose locker the document was put in MUST have found it. It was far too obvious to miss. However, I'm not sure if she read it, as she acted in no way differently from before. I, on the other hand, felt as though I had no reason in the world to fear other peoples' opinions of me. My SA, at least for the day, was completely nonexistant. There's always tomorrow for something bad to happen, but for now, I feel great!
I would not recommend that anyone else tries that, though. I took extreme precautions to not say TOO much, but just enough to get something out.

So, yeah. In my case, I think it WAS a good idea. Of course, if this does come back and bite me in the near future, I'll let you all know.

NO

First of all.. Ill justleave it at, its a BAD idea, dont do it.Anyways.. social anxiety typically makes people feel VERY self consious and extremely judgemental towards themselves. Understanding how to overcome social anxiety isn't going to suddenly happen, or even gradually happen with a random letter in the hallway that most people wouldnt even recognize. It seems like your really creative and i totally understand how you feel by the way, but if you are motivated enough to conquer the SA, try to start off by focussing on reality, rather than imagination. If your walkingdown the hallway and you feellike evryones attention is on you, you have to realize, fast, that its not at allthe truth!.. Ivehad social anxiety all through school and ive overcame it by forcing myself to seethe world as it really is. It takes time to get rid of allthe automatic assumptions we make but with enough motivation its deff possible. Most ofthethings i thought people were thinking of me werent true. Acually, most people didnt ntice or care. The letter will prbly make you more self conscious and prbly put you through torure mentally. Exposing yourself like that wont help. It will open you up to nothing but negative judgements. Doingthat to yourself is like giving a diabetic sugar. It isnt going to turn out good. Trust me. And i suggest looking into meds since they have a descent success rate.. Good luck!! :D

villacjs

Don't do it, because some people may take what you wrote the wrong way eg the girls you like. I must admit it would probably be very interesting to read :lol: .