Does Anyone Take Medication For Their OCD

mindy10

I really want to try a antidepressent for my OCD and was wondering if people have had luck with one particular one? I do the repeating thing. Like touch my teeth with my tongue like 100 times a day thinking I feel a sharp thing on my tooth. If I find a sharp thing like a filling than I will go to it 100 times a day and look at it in the mirror to make sure its not a carvity. Even though I know its not a cavity it does not matter I have to touch and look at it again and again!! Maybe because I have had 6 root canals so im parinoid over my teeth! LOL. I worry about health all the time. If I miss something on tv i have to rewind it to see what I missed and if I cant rewind it then it drives me crazy!! So anyone have luck with antidepressants?

shakethelight

when I was younger I had terrible OCD- I still have some form of it but its not as bad. anyway, I was put on luvox roughly around 15 of age. I cant really remember how helpful it was because my body was going through changes so I sort of reacted oddly to the medication. I do know it works well for a lot of people. You can always google it and look at reviews.

durda_dan

i went on prozac for aboput 6 months and i felt great. i was able to stop taking the meds and with a little mind control the symptoms went away for a long time. now they are back, and i don't have prozac anymore ha ha story of my life.

Haemo

I have been on medication since I was twelve. Currently I am on five different psychiatric medications for varying things. I can't say I have had "success" with any. As even on them I am not well, but they have helped at least.

At the time of writing this I am currently on:
Venlafaxine - For OCD and depression
Mirtazapine - For sleep and obsessive dreams of torture/ murder and night terrors
Divalproex - For mood stabilization
Dexedrine - For ADD
Lorazepam - For panic attacks

I have tried and stopped the following for the reasons listed:
Fluoxetine - Discontinued recently due to reaching the maximum dose without the desired effect, and to try other medications
Risperidone - Unfortunately I cannot remember
Methylphenidate - Increased anxiety
Quetiapine - Weight gain
Mirtazapine - Weight gain

Please note that this list should not be taken as a list of recommendations for medications. I am not a doctor. What does or doesn't work for one may work or not work for another.

cjc

My son was placed on Prozac and it made him lose weight and become almost manic. His compulsions and tics (which have since disappeared) became worse.

We then tried Citalopram because it was supposed to have less side effects but that was not true for my son. I was suspecting that the medication was making him worse and we weaned him off it because his ability to function in school was rapidly decreasing. He began a slow improvement after that and I'm not sure if he was just coming out of the worst of it on his own or if the medication had caused the downward swing.

It is very hard to say because different people react differently. Now my son refuses all medication. He hates it. I guess we tough this out with mind power only.

cjc

when I was younger I had terrible OCD- I still have some form of it but its not as bad. anyway, I was put on luvox roughly around 15 of age. I cant really remember how helpful it was because my body was going through changes so I sort of reacted oddly to the medication. I do know it works well for a lot of people. You can always google it and look at reviews.

When did your OCD begin to improve and do you have any explanation for why it improved?