Does Anyone Else Have Anxiety With Driving?

fitftw

I always feel like I'm bothering everyone on the road, even though it's them that really don't know how to drive. Maybe I'm a hypocrite, but I seem to get pissed off almost every time I go somewhere.

Illusions

Hell, I probably won't even attempt to get a driver's license! I'm clumsy so the thought is way too daunting. Owning and driving a car in my country are way too expensive anyway.

Ryguy2598

Well I know that being super paranoid and nervous is a really bad state to be in when driving. I was like this on my first test and I failed by almost causing an accident lol...but I passed the next day.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I didn’t get my license until I was almost 20, but after getting them I eventually settled down, anxiety-wise and got used to driving. I still have times when I can get a little overwhelmed, but they’re rare. I can say that I wouldn’t go back to not having one for anything though. I love driving, especially at night when everyone else is asleep.

mikebird

Banned
I have a good friend who gave up on driving after a few lessons and tests. I think I understand. There can be an element of 'can't be assed' or fear...

All down to luck.

But it brings me to another topic: I wonder how I ended up with so many friends (the majority) who really can't be assed to work, and never will.

I have lost my driving license for a total 5.5 years so far, with 1 of those years being no fault of mine, being an epileptic, having to wait for a year after every fit, and 3 of those years because my mate had the door open while I was driving, and the door hit a police van. It's a hopeless existence without driving. A ban is much worse punishment than a year in prison. When living in the real world, a car is less of a luxury than a sexy mobile phone. It's a necessity.

I recommend driving. When you embark on a new route, it's annoying and scary. Once you know your way to work after a few weeks, or to the supermarket, and you know every turn and every roundabout, you can get there almost with your eyes shut. I have trouble remembering simple things, such as people's names after a few months, but it's remarkable how you can remember every turn in every street, every sign after having not been there after 10 years...

I don't like the arrogant games played on the road, but you're safe in your protective metal shell. You can ignore each threat. It's an expensive hobby. It's worth every penny.

Last edited:

Thelema

I just took driving school at 22. You just need to get over the part where you have to think about all the things you do-like having to think about how hard to push the gas, or turn the wheel, or stopping without doing it too hard. Once you get over that hump and its all subconscious, its's easy.

Having an instructor watching you is bound to make you more nervous. Don't worry about it. People won't hit you. Make sure to get lots of practice between instructed drives.I practiced 5 or 6 hours between and I had enough experience that the instructed drives were borong, so even tho I was nervous, my practice still let me do well. If the only driveing you do is while very nervous with the instructor, no wonder you do bad.

Don't feel bad about freezing up. A girl on one of my drives hit a trash can and broke off a mirror and even that wasn't a big deal.

Duraldo

Oddly enough driving is one of the few places I don't have SA. The way I learned to drive wasn't exactly uhh legal. My dad lied on the applications saying I had like 40 hours of driving experience, and signed off on the parent-taught class (which i thank him because i didn't have to do the driving test). However, I had no clue how to drive when I got my lisense, I was just kinda thrown to the wolves. After like a month, I was a NASCAR pro :O

B

Beatrice

Yeah. Even though it's one of my favorite activities. And it's not that I'm afraid of getting hit or dying or something. It's people, of course! ugh. I just feel that the person in every other car is seeing me and thinking, "Isn't she too young to be driving?" And I also feel that they get annoyed with me if I'm not pushing the speed limit, and if I don't pull out from a stop sign very quickly. I know the great majority of this is in my head, and I know that even if it weren't it wouldn't MATTER what they thought. But it bothers me nonetheless, every time I am driving.

girlinthecorner

Since I gave up on driving, I decided to try to conquer my other fear of public transportation since I really wanted to try being more independent. I've done it a couple of times now and it's gone great. I wish I was able to start using buses years ago. At the same time I was also able to conquer my fears of walking across streets by myself and just going anywhere by myself. I never thought I could do it.
I'm still not ready to get back behind the wheel. Not sure if I ever will.

Jessykins

I only get anxious when I'm stuck behind a tractor or slow car & the traffic starts backing up behind me. I have a slow car so I can't overtake that easily.