doctor

In just some days I will go visit the doctor.
I am sure that telling her that I am "socially inept" and need psychiatric help would be utterly humiliating. I am afraid that people will find out who I am. I am afraid that people won't find out who I am. Will the doctor even understand me?
Please give me your thoughts on this!

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Some docs understand things like AVPD and social phobia. Some don't. If you encounter hostility and disdain, go to a different doctor. These are real problems, real issues.

Be honest--doing this half-assed will do you no good. I'm guessing you've looked up AVPD on the internet and decided that's your problem? If so, tell her that. Tell her what you're feeling and thinking and why.

Also, I think if you contact a mod on here they can add the 'ol' to the end of your username, if that's what you want. Not sure, but I think so.

Good luck!

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
In just some days I will go visit the doctor.
I am sure that telling her that I am "socially inept" and need psychiatric help would be utterly humiliating. I am afraid that people will find out who I am. I am afraid that people won't find out who I am. Will the doctor even understand me?
Please give me your thoughts on this!

Well, I wouldn't tell your doctor that you're "socially inept" if that's going to make you feel like you're humiliatin' yerself. I'm sure she (your doctor) will understand you, though. See, when I went to my doctor about gettin' psychiatric help, I never said I was "socially inept" because I,too, felt that'd be utterly humiliating. Just say that yer uncomfortable around people or when in group situations and not sure of what to say most of the time, for example.

I know that I'm just dancing around the matter of feelin' "socially inept" - but you don't have put things so bluntly and say it outright. As I said you don't want to leave your appointment feelin' like you just made a fool of yerself. Not that that's likely to happen, by the way. Just that shouldn't be yer first thought.

Again, your doctor will understand, just explain how your feelin'. They're there to help you after all. And I know gettin' help for something like social anxiety isn't easy, but the help is there. Okay, I hope that made sense, and was of some help to you? :thumbup: Hope it goes well for you.

All the best!