Do your Parents look at you with irritability or disappointment?

CHAKRAPOINT

am tired of this ,my parents always look at me like im a disgrace to them.theyve also been treating me like im retarded or something because i apparantly dont listen to them when they say i should finish my degree which i am doing .

D

deleted user 1

Yes I get that. But what they fail to realise is that THEY contributed to this, when I wanted help all those years ago NOBODY listened. But as soon as your problem becomes a problem to them, it all kicks off!

Cynicalloner

Yes all the time I hate it with a passion. My mom also treats me like I'm stupid just because I"m awkward sometimes I guess. I don't know and I just wish I could move out asap sometimes...

maiato

Banned
perhaps the best thing is to offer them a IQ test for anniversaty gift, for sure they will let u in peace for awhile! That idea of being calm, introverted, shy and retard just pisses me off sorry!

Isola

I think my mother pities me, because I don't tend to socialize a lot, and she thinks I feel lonely.

Which I do, but I don't want anyone to pity me. Especially not my mother.

inconspicuous name

your parents generally always only have the best intentions for you, they're not mind readers they're people just the same as you.

tell them exactly how you feel, tell them if they do things you don't like, tell them about your problems. but for god sake LISTEN to what they say. despite what you think they probably went through the same/similar problems to you when they were your age and can genuinly offer good advice to you.

Yes, my parents can react very irritating, or frustrated when I have a difficult moment because of SA. It's really hard, while I need someone to listen to me ::(: I'm moving out soon, but don't get me wrong, we will still do things together like quality time.
My parents are just overloaded by stress, because they've seen me fighting for 3 years, they feel ''my pain'' too. Because they react frustrated, I'm afraid their mad at me, but they are not. I keep on misunderstanding about this, but i've learned that parents love you more than anything in the world, and they suffer when you suffer. They want to see their kids having a good life and when it fails, they feel the pain. So I need to let go the worries about their frustration,
I should try from now on, to not show my weakness face to them.
It's a hard task for me, because I feel a lot of pain, but I know this is the best thing to do. But i can so much relate to this topic, but i just took a time thinking deeply about stuff, why could they react like that? Should I really make my world tumble down? I let this happen everytime when I'm in panic.
But if I should just not have those heavy thoughts, and feelings it would have been so much easier. But I know, there is a way.

Last edited:
Yes, but only my dad. But that's not a big deal to me, he hasn't been part of our lives (my 3 siblings and me). He claim to do all he can, yet only bothers to call/E-mail on special occasion like birthdays. He still sees me as some lazy kid that does the absolute minimum to get through life.

But I broke contact with him after some unfortunate situations, and questionable behavior on his part. After this long, I've stopped giving him chances he never gave us. If he doesn't want to part of our lives, then so be it.

My mom isn't disappointed in me in any way, but is constantly worried about my mental state. Which is reasonable considering the situation we're in, but her being worried is more emotionally draining to me then my father's opinion/image of me is. So I hide most of the worst from her.

Hottie

My mother is an alcholic and when she starts with her abuse its - "you are such a disgrace", "look at yourself your useless", "why cant you ever get up of your backside and do something", "you and your life, or should i say no life", etc etc etc.......
I have learned that right now my mother does not know what is best for me (she doesnt even know whats best for her!), but as much as she dishes out the crap, i simply try and not let it get to me. There are times when i can tell she is proud, but she never tells me she is. She still sees me as a trouble maker...

My father on the other hand, i think is quite proud of me. When i was in school i was always getting in trouble, either the school, the garda (police), fighting, drinking, drugging etc. This went on for many years. Now since i am mature and older i know he has a lot of respect for me. He values my opionion very much because he knows that im street smart and school smart. He knows i have so much sence...
there is another reason why he has great respect for me but im not going into it, thank you very much !!!

Are you sure your parents view you this way ?? You could feel that they think like that but they might be trying to tell and do whats best for you. They may be encouraging you to get your degree, they mightnt know how to express this...