Do you worry about the future?

ichiban

I'm about to graduate from college in May, and that scares me so much.

I'm in the process of applying to graduate schools for next year, but I've already gotten a couple rejections, and the idea that I may end up with nothing to do and nowhere to go in May makes me anxious beyond belief.

And shyness/SA does not help at all. If in fact I don't get accepted, carrying out Plan B to apply to other schools/jobs won't be easy. Expressing myself through personal statements, asking for letters of recommendation, putting myself out there despite fears of failure, networking, interviewing, etc... this stuff doesn't come easy for me.

I thought for sure I'd find something or another to do, that I'd get accepted to some school or some job and make my way from there. But my confidence and optimism have taken a blow recently.

So tell me, what do you do for a living? How did you get there, and how do you deal with moving on to a new, unknown chapter in your life?

I'm at that unknown chapter stage right now. Thinking about it has caused me intense anxiety today, culminating in a headache.

Like you, I am poor at interviewing/networking etc - at times like this I get filled with self doubt. I will post more when my head clears.

Kiwong

Yes, I want time to slow down a bit. At 48 I'm finally started to achieve things, and am feeling settled in some elements of my life and now I am worried about father time catching up with me. I'm also worried about next year and a change of state government whether I will still have a job.

If I have to move onto a new chapter in my life I am not sure how I will cope with my anxiety disorder.

Aussie_Lad

Being anxious about the unknown is perfectly normal. You can't live a life avoiding all the unknows or you will never get anywhere. You just have to let life flow, and see where the road takes you. There is no right or wrong road, as you simply adjust your direction should things not be working out the way you would like.

On a sidenote: I am preparing for a total life change next year, quitting a full time job to do a bit of study (as long as I am accepted into the course). I will be using my reserve on money on living expenses and I am scared sh*tless, but I can't do the same thing forever as life gets stale after a while.