Do you ever cry because of social anxiety?

Y

If im not on paxil, i cry all the time...

If i get 20 mg/day, i dont cry at all...

If i get 40 mg/day, i stupidly smile all the time, lol.

Y

I cant say for sure if its placebo effect or not, but i dont think it is. Cos when i started using Paxil i didnt think it would work at all.

And when im off it, i keep thinking about killling myself like 10 times a day maybe but when im on, im normal, its not like all my problems are gone, but im not on a bad mood all the time.

Recently my doc upped my dosage to 40 mg and for the last 2 weeks i feel like laughing at the least bit of funny things i see, like people with stupid hair, people who fall on the street, children playing, cats and everything, i cant say i am a happy person now, cos as a whole my life sucks, but it has made my days tolerable, if you know what i mean.

Plus, for a more solid observation, before i have started paxil i couldnt watch horror movies, i used to have panic attacks if i do, but now im a horror movie fan, nothing i see on the screen fears me anymore.

kitkatsavvy

ya...well who knows.... they didn't do anything for me at all.. they just gave me horrible and weird side effects...

however.. i have had panic disorder before (then psychosis - see my website www.psychopanic.com for all my whinging) ...so ever since may 2003 ive been on antipsychotics..which are basically tranqulisers.. so i KNOW these things help more than antidepressants will ever do....if you are sick enough to be on antipsychotics.. you know that at first they knock you to the ground....

anyway my point is.. im not changing my opinion on antidepressants... .but if you "think" a medicine will work. then it will... as i said before it depends on what is happening in your life.... having good friends (if any at all), having a hobby that occupies you and talking your problems out are all good things..

rado31

... .but if you "think" a medicine will work. then it will... as i said before it depends on what is happening in your life...

I have heard these stupid words when talking to one (or maybe) two shrinks .
So, the shrinks logic is if they give u cianid , and we all believe or think that it wont work , it wont do you any harm. What a bunch of loonies.

For crying.....I cried at night couple of days ago. I remebered my late grandpa and my inability to help her in the moments when she was lonely.
I felt guilt and cried. She was the only person in my family that was good to everybody (excepts my parents, for which i m incompetent or unable to judge)

Pluvia

I cry quite often, especially when I visit my GP or have to see teachers. Then I feel silly afterwards, and cry some more =(

swinnie

First time on this site, I am crying right now. I have a great job but yesterday my boss asked me to present in front of 20 of my peers with one day's notice.

I really messed up - massive long pause just after the start, made no sense, shook, bushed, spoke too quickly and at least five people commented afterwards on how nervous I was. I think my boss thinks I am a freak.

To top it all off I am in communications! This was the worst day ever. Anyone have some advice?

Foxglove

shyboy1 said:
Do you? I am crying right now actually. Call me a pussy if you must...

OMG, you're not a pussy! I do a lot of crying, believe me. I'm a female, but I believe guys have just as much right to express their feelings as girls do. Being able to cry is better than not being able to. I'm sorry you were feeling so bad, and hope it's gotten better.

Foxglove

swinnie said:
First time on this site, I am crying right now. I have a great job but yesterday my boss asked me to present in front of 20 of my peers with one day's notice.

I really messed up - massive long pause just after the start, made no sense, shook, bushed, spoke too quickly and at least five people commented afterwards on how nervous I was. I think my boss thinks I am a freak.

To top it all off I am in communications! This was the worst day ever. Anyone have some advice?

Maybe you could speak to your boss privately and tell him/her that you felt/feel really uncomfortable speaking in front a group. That's not so uncommon, I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. Was this a spur of the moment thing? Did you have time to prepare what you wanted to say? I'm sorry it didn't go well for you yesterday, but try not to dwell on it. It will just make you feel worse. Hopefully speaking with your boss with clear up the situation. Good luck!

AngelsTears85

I used to cry a lot...

The one that I remeber the most though is I was invited to a friends 21st, I hadn't seen her in awhile and was told that there was going to be mostly famliy which I had never meet there and a couple of her friends that she had made from her work and things which I also didn't know...I was nervous also because I was embarrsed to see her mum and dad again as they were strangely draged into my mum and dad splitting up...I was feeling good tho as I knew that my best friend was going to be there so that was good, but as I was getting ready I could feel myself start to get worked up and feel myself about to cry I started shaking and trying to not cry which as you most likely know makes it worse, then I started crying and I didn't want to go any more. My mum said I had to at least go and give her her present so I composed myself as best I could and went over to her place and as I was walking up the driveway I strated crying again and her and her mum came out and then I felt like crap that I couldn't even go to her 21st and that her and her mum had seen my crying over something that shouldn't be a big deal...I really regret letting SP get the better of me...I have just recently been invited to her house warming party and am now feaking out about that. I hope it is not a repeat of what happened last time...

phd_girl

All of the time. Sometimes I cry when I'm anticipating thing I really don't want to do, sometimes I cry when I'm in a situation that's just too much for me, & sometimes I just cry. You're not alone, and definitely not a pussy

phd_girl

All of the time. Sometimes I cry when I'm anticipating thing I really don't want to do, sometimes I cry when I'm in a situation that's just too much for me, & sometimes I just cry. You're not alone, and definitely not a pussy

hulkamaniak

Yep, a day before i signed up to here i did, It was my first day at uni and I couldnt handle it and felt so alone i felt very suicidal and teary in my lecture, i felt so uncomfortable i left, and held it on the whole train ride home, then when i got home my dad noticed something was wrong with me and i tried to pretend nothing was, then broke down crying, first time in yonks. . . . But i guess it happened for a reason because he took me to hospital and im now getting help and now officially know i have SA

shyboy1 said:
Do you? I am crying right now actually. Call me a pussy if you must...

I won't call you a pussy, and anyone who does is a pussy.

I have. Sometimes forcefully and desperately... I live in residence, you see, in a town a ways away from anyone I know. I know I could never go out and meet people here, not that I want to... I know who my friends are, and I could never do so anyway without my confidante.

For a time, I couldn't get up and drag myself across campus to class without growing all misty-eyed and hating myself. I wanted to smash a tower window with a cinder block to create a useful portal. I'm over that, but I still feel like I'll never go anywhere socially, save for the proximal luck of my friends' flourishing social lives.

Rainbowstar

Hi shyboy1,

You are NOT a pussy. It is normal for everyone (male or female) to cry. We all cry when we lose something valuable, when we encounter challenging experiences or when we are hurt. Some people in society expect males to behave a macho manner and not cry because crying is synonymous with weakness. This is an unrealistic expectation as everyone has their weaknesses and strengths. I remember watching Roger Federer cry when he won the Australian Open in 2006. Everyone applauded him when he cried.

Rainbowstar

swinnie said:

Hi Swinnie,
I hope you are feeling better. It is important to remember that fear of public speaking is a common fear and everyone feels nervous. I have several suggestions.
- Borrow or buy the book 'Umm... A complete guide to public speaking' by James O'Loughlin. He has good tips on how to handle nerves and he also talks about his own experiences. James O'Loughlin is a popular ABC comedian. He is the host of TV show 'The New Inventors'.
- Practice is the best way to make you feel comfortable when speaking to an audience. I felt nervous when I first started, however, I practised it many times and now I'm more comfortable. You can put a photo which shows a audience as seen by the speaker and put the photo somewhere noticeable (e.g. on the desktop wallpaper, room door etc) and look at the photo everyday. This helps you get used to looking directly at an audience. If you're in a room, practice standing in front of the blackboard or screen in the room, when the room is empty. This also helps you get used to looking at an audience. There are also other ways to practice (e.g. calling up on radio). With practise, you'll become more comfortable. It is similar to driving a car (most of us are anxious when we first drive but we become less anxious the more we practice).

Danfalc

Banned
Like someone else said.. i think my supply of tears have run out,i use to cry alot when i was younger but havnt now for years.I lost someone important recently and i didnt even shed a single tear.I physicaly cant laugh either i feel like a robot.

I was braught up with the attitude that men shouldnt cry and got in more trouble with my parents if i dared cry or get upset.But the the op.. were ment to cry.. your deffo not a "pussy" actuay i think it takes more of a man to show his emotions.

Caseums21

I have one good cry about once every 2 weeks. Last night I cried but I felt so much better afterwards. :)

Zarrix

Sometimes a day can be so bad, you just feel like crying. However, as a male, I would look rather weak If I were to cry in front of everybody. So I use all my energy to hold it in. If I speak to anyone once this triggers, I find it hard to hold it in however.