Did anyone get compensatory sweating as a result of ionto?

Newguy

Hi im new to this forum:) I have palmar and plantar hyperhidrosis, I have been living with this condition now for over four years and it hasn't been easy but I am yet to find a treatment which works for me::eek::. I was very happy when when I came accross iontophoresis because the reviews which I saw were that people getting dry and staying dry for weeks, this really looked great:D. I wanted a taste of that dryness but then when I actually bought my own machine (idrostar) and started the treatments I was again slammed back down to that frustrating feeling. It took me a couple of months to get the hang of the maintenance treatments. However now that the sweating has cessated I would say about 80% from my hands and feet both I got sweating regulating near my bumline:eek:. I know this sounds freaky but I wanted to ask any other iontophoresis users if they have ever got compensatory sweating and also if you think that if I stop ionto right now will my compensatory sweating go away?

Any opinions would be great guys and girls even if you dont use iontophoresis as a treatment. Just need some thoughts as I dont want to wonder on my own anymore.

Last edited:

Jezza

Unfortunately this might not be a case of CS but just the HH progressing over time. You say you've been (at least knowingly) living with the condition for 4 years...so typically you're say, 16-18 y/o?

The bad news is HH oftentimes tends to get worse over those adolescent years. That is, the sweating might not get even worse on the areas already affected, but it has been known to start to affect other areas as time goes on.

For me it started with hands and feet, then after a while (some years) it spread to the other known HH areas like groin, lower back, armpits etc. Only my face usually remains unaffected.

I remember when I was in highschool I already had the sweaty hands but could just go play football in a free hour outside and then return to the next class like the other guys with just a bit of deodorant...No sweat patches anywhere, even with khaki trousers and light colored shirts.

Now though, even simply walking the dog or sitting still in a bar sometimes soaks my clothes.

I know it's a pretty bleak picture and it's different for everyone but I wouldn't necessarily attribute the "CS" to the ionto.

Last edited:

Newguy

Yeah you guessed right im 17 right now. Ow that does sound very bleak actually if this is a case of my hyperhidrosis developing then fingers crossed it doesn't go to any other places because I don't know if I can take any more of sweating.

I have never been completely dry for even just half a day since I started sweating one summer when I was 13 ::(:I'll never forget the day I held a playstation controller in my hand and was playing fifa when my hands started going crazy and the controller was soaked, I felt ashamed as my older brothers mates were around so I dashed out to get a tissue and wipe the controller and my hands but as soon as i did they were getting moist/clammy again. This was my first experience of hyperhidrosis and I absolutely hated it.

The reason I asked this question is because a lot of people over this forum have said that they do think that they got CS from ionto and one person even said that the sweating in that area went away after they stopped ionto. Also my dermatologist professor O'Toole said that many people can get CS from it because if sweat production stops in one place, it has no reason to just dissapear instead it will find other humid/hot area to pour out of. Your brain is finding all ways to keep the constant body temperature and blocking sweat means rasing body temperature.

Anyways I made a decision to stop the treatment because I want to experiment on what happens, if the sweating does stop from the newly wet area then it must be due to ionto. If not then it must be like you said, my hyperhidrosis developing. I really hope though one day you find a way to treat yourself because your severity seems to be much greater than mine.

Newguy

Also Jezza can I ask how old you are? and at what age your hyperhidrosis stopped spreading to other areas.

Thanks.

Jezza

Yeah I'm 25 now. Like you my hand sweating more or less started becoming a problem when I was 13/14...Then at the end of 'highschool' when I was about 17 I noticed some sweat patches when I was sitting on plastic chairs in class and started sweating more playing sports, though still nothing too terrible (outside of the hands that is). I guess then the first or second year in college it got to the level where it pretty much is now, so say at 18/19 y/o.

May have something to do with the growth spurt etc...I got that pretty late and grew something like a foot in a very short time frame. Then at 18/19 in my case the growth was really over and the increase in sweating seemed to plateau as well.

Can't tell if there was actually a relation between the two but yeah...at 19 it was pretty bad and it remained more or less the same since. I do ionto now for hands and feet (works very well for hands and helps with feet) but I didn't do that before, so the sweating on the other body parts was already there.

Last edited:

hyp-hi

I agree with Jezza, it could just be HH developing over time. I have been using ionto for a few months new and it has helped my palmar HH. I haven't notice a significant increase in compensatory sweating in other areas while using it.

Sprawling

Hey, hate to sound like a bummer, but I'm in my low 50's and my hh seems to be the same as when I was age 6. Sweat comes out of everywhere. During the summer months with temperatures 90's + it's hard to tell if I have compensatory sweating from ionto or not. It's easier to notice the compensatory sweating during the cooler months when the rest of my body does not sweat as much. Then I notice the armpits sweat increases. I'd still rather have dryer hands overall using ionto.

HH seems to be a life long thing... sorry.

ysh

I have been doing Ionto for 5 months now, and it has been working great. As a HH sufferer I am sweating more than a normal person does all over, but it was mainly my hands that was a problem in social situations. With Ionto hands and feet are now under control. I haven't noticed any CS, but since my hands and feet is now under control (would drip before unless I constantly wiped them off), I tend to sweat less from other parts of the body as well since I am more relaxed. I do notice at times that I do sweat from other parts from the body, but I did that before as well, it's just more noticable for me now when my hands and feet are dry. Previously my focus was to constantly wipe off my hands, so I didn't have time to bother about other parts of my body sweating. Actually I sweated more from other parts of the body before Ionto cause of the stress when I started sweating from my hands.

Newguy

Thank you for sharing your thoughts everyone and yeah this is kind of a bummer Sprawling. Also I think ionto is great but for me keeping the sweating under control with it seems very time consuming and my results vary. Really want a cure or a more convenient way to control it. I'm thinking of taking oral medications to see what effect it has on me or if the side effects are just tiredeness and dry mouth because I can deal with that if it makes my sweating go away. I'll let you guys know what happens with that; I got an appointment for that on August 9th.

I'm in a horrible mood but will read this post later tonight. I do get compensatory sweating from ionto must troublesome are face and butt

I will be drenched if I walk 300 yards outside