Desensitization

I'm very sensitive to criticism and can obsess about negative comments that people make for endless amounts of time. Also if someone doesn't give me as much attention as I'd like, I get very offended.

I've heard that desensitization can work to overcome these issues. Has anybody tried it? If so, is it necessary to do it professionally, or can people do it on their own?

The reason I ask, is because I'd like to start a group of people online who help each other overcome the fear of being criticized.

Thoughts or Advice appreciated

exquisite

i asked a question almost exactly like this. i'd like to know as well....its so annoying having to deal with me being so sensitive..

I could relate completely to your thread. I've wondered for awhile if creating a desensitization group would work. Your thread and the following comments from others made me wonder if anyone would be interested in starting a group to try and overcome this. I'm not sure how it would work but I'd be willing to try.

What are your thoughts, concerns, or interests on this idea?

It's where you take whatever you happen to fear, and create a situation where you intentionally deal with it, until the fear goes away.

Kiwong

There's exposure therapy, cognitive behaviour therapy.

Google any of those methods and you can probably find heaps of how to information. Of course there are many books published on these techniques.

You can find counsellors who can do it, and professionals such as a psychologist.

I think the dealing with sensitivity to criticism has to do with building self-esteem, and countering negative self talk with positive statements.