Desensitization

lithium

Has anyone experienced this? I'm talking in a general sense. Nothing gets me excited anymore. I don't ever look forward to anything, and life is just plain boring. When I was younger things were more exciting and worth while. Now everything is just the same routine and I have to force myself to feel things. It just feels like I have been desensitized to the point that I will no longer feel anything. ::(:

EscapeArtist

Yeah I get this... I have to set something up to look forward to at the end of the day to want to get out of bed.. And it's usually copious amounts of food. It's not enough though, to be addicted to food, because it's a circle. I also can't sympathize with people anymore, I can't feel that burning passion for the future I used to have.... I just don't know..

agreed with what u both said.. i do not look forward to anything, those little excitements..and im so dreaded into my problems that i also cant sypathize..
but i guess there's still the fight for the future cuz im obsssed over everyhting, at least im not giving up :/

Lost Girl

I go through periods of feeling like this. Usually it's something quite small that will give me a little spark back before I gradually get to a better place...like an listening to an old favorite song, or watching a favorite movie or TV show...or seeing family... Try a few different things to try to get yourself out of it. Getting out of the house will probably help too. Try going some place new, or get some fresh air at least.

Yeah i felt that way a few years ago when i had some depression happening. I think it was partly the depression, and then partly the medications - they seemed to desensitize me even more. Try to just keep doing stuff you enjoy, or that interests you at all. I kept finding i had no interest in things i thought i was meant to - things other ppl were loving and laughing at, i'd just be sitting there uninterested. Instead of comparing your reactions to other people's, just compare within yourself - which things do you enjoy a bit more than others, which things to you find less boring than other things. Like Lost Girl, i found it was usually some old favourite movie, tv show or book that i still enjoyed, and just staying in touch with those things was enough to keep my mood going along alright.

Exercise can be pretty good too - sport, or just jogging, gets some adrenaline and other good hormones flowing. Even if you're not feeling much emotionally, or psychologically, you might get some good physical reactions going from exercise.

lyricalliaisons

If you're on medication, it could be an effect of that. Or it could just be major depression. It does that to people sometimes, but I've never had that problem myself. Though there have been times that I've just about lost interest in something I once loved, it's never gotten to the point where I've felt no emotions about anything.

bigrob

I'm a walking mass of Dissociative disorders.

Derealization? check

Derationalization? check

Desensitization? check

Depersonalization? check

The only one I don't have is another personality.

Everything I read on it points out a previous trauma....I have none. My parent were practically Ward and June Cleaver. I just think I don't enjoy life so things become "fake" to me or something.

SickCycleCarousel

Yes...I can relate.

I have zero hope for my life and the future freaks me out. I go into panic mode when I think about the next day, even. It's baby steps to four o'clock for me these days.

I want to get married and travel but part of me thinks it's a waste of time. =\