Depressed about having no friends.

In September 2010, I left my old school of 1000+ students. A lot has happened since then, (3 hospitalizations, different medications, etc) but since I'm lazy I'll just say that I've been attending an alternative school since March. I'm going back in September because I missed too much school last year to get all my remaining credits. I don't have a job, and I've also never really had friends in the past so I've spent the last 5 summers (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and this year) sitting at home for 2 months either playing video games or going on the computer. I guess I'm just saying I don't know how to make friends. In my school there are only about 8 students and since school is the only social interaction I have with people other than family, I'm worried that once I'm done, It'll be impossible for me to me to have any friends and I'll just be alone forever. I really would like to go back to my normal high school, but because of my OCD and anxiety, it's not a realistic option.

Well, how bout talking to one of the 8 people at your school at working with that?

A lot of them keep to them selves because they probably have problems with anxiety too. The good news is that there will be new students starting in September, but I don't know how I'll bring my self to talk to them.

Nanita

I know how u feel. I don´t have many friends.. I seem to often loose the friends I do have. The friends I have now are newer friends, and I doubt these friendships will last for more than a couple of years.. I guess because I´m not good at staying in touch, and because I do not fit in with my friends other friends/family/succesful lives - it´s like I can´t get my life together and I´m sometimes so distant to everything that people do .. and therefore my friendships don´t last.

Michel

Start small. All you need is one good friend. I have the luck to have found one soul mate in my childhood and I wouldn't trade him for 100000000 superficial facebook friends. I've noticed that it have developed into a kind of mentor relationship. Maybe that is what you need. Search for someone who would be willing to mentor you in a specific way. Maybe there is someone waiting for someone like you to ask.

HeadFace

A lot of them keep to them selves because they probably have problems with anxiety too. The good news is that there will be new students starting in September, but I don't know how I'll bring my self to talk to them.
Well, I'm sure they'll feel comfortable with someone who they can identify with?
And as for the new ones, hey, whats the worse that could happen? The worst that could really happen is if it just gets quiet, while attempting conversation... And even then I'm sure you can manage to get out of that.

WeirdyMcGee

Well~ there are situations you could put yourself in to make friends after highschool-- and you could also keep in touch with your friends from school as well.
Making friends with people who have social anxiety or are shy can be time consuming but definitely worth it. Be patient, talk to them, trade movies or videogames and just make smalltalk-- more than likely, they'd like to make a friend as well.

If you're going to college- you can make friends in your new classes. (I found this much easier than it was in highschool because we were all into the same things; all in school for something we had interest in)

You could join a club, online local forum, gaming forum-- a number of things... outreach programs, volunteering
Really, life doesn't end when highschool is over. I think things could even be better for you!
You will have to reach out to make friends; they won't come to you.
You can do it though, if it's what you really want.
I made plenty of friends at conventions and Toronto has some of the best gaming and anime conventions in the country- so you're kind of lucky, location wise. haha

Also-- making friends in the workplace is a very viable option.
When you begin to think about getting a job; try finding a place where you know there will be other people your age working there.
It's easiest to make friends when you're doing something similar together.

Well~ there are situations you could put yourself in to make friends after highschool-- and you could also keep in touch with your friends from school as well.
Making friends with people who have social anxiety or are shy can be time consuming but definitely worth it. Be patient, talk to them, trade movies or videogames and just make smalltalk-- more than likely, they'd like to make a friend as well.

If you're going to college- you can make friends in your new classes. (I found this much easier than it was in highschool because we were all into the same things; all in school for something we had interest in)

You could join a club, online local forum, gaming forum-- a number of things... outreach programs, volunteering
Really, life doesn't end when highschool is over. I think things could even be better for you!
You will have to reach out to make friends; they won't come to you.
You can do it though, if it's what you really want.
I made plenty of friends at conventions and Toronto has some of the best gaming and anime conventions in the country- so you're kind of lucky, location wise. haha

Also-- making friends in the workplace is a very viable option.
When you begin to think about getting a job; try finding a place where you know there will be other people your age working there.
It's easiest to make friends when you're doing something similar together.

Never though about it that way. I guess I should start looking for a job or initiating a conversation If I'm lucky I won't even have to.

Thanks to everyone else who commented!