Depersonalization

rado31

Hye Sue.

Have u got some info(site) of what depersonalization is (offcourse not wikipedia)?

coriander1992

I hope you don't mind me chipping in here, but..
I have read your links and googled it, but i still don't understand what depersonalization is?
could you explain, if you don't mind of course?

Tryin

coriander1992 said:
I hope you don't mind me chipping in here, but..
I have read your links and googled it, but i still don't understand what depersonalization is?
could you explain, if you don't mind of course?

well, it's kind of hard to understand or explain. it's a feeling.. a state.. that I believe everybody experiences sometimes (e. g. when you are really really weary or under the influence of alcohol, drugs or something) but it's really hard to describe. it's really weird, the reality seems weird, unreal, you don't feel connected to it. it's like a dream, like you are not really alive, like it's not really you. like you were looking in or.. existing on some far away spot.. different level.. or not existing at all. complete disconnection.

i kept having it ever since I can remember and it always scared me because it's a feeling you just can't share with other people, you are so alone with it. and i was so very glad to find out it had an actual name and that other people also experienced it.

I don't know if it helped, but thank you loads for your interest, Coriander. Feel free to write me if you have any more questions or just want to chat. :wink:

SocialRetahd, I'd be so happy to discuss it with you. Going on 6 years? I feel like I was born with it. Do you remember the first time you ever had it (was it influenced by a drug or did it come naturally)? And how are you doing? Do you feel there's any connection between depersonalization and your SP?

cosmosis

I think most people experience it atleast once in their lifetime. Most people just dont know what it is their experiencing. It seems to be one of the least understood problems, which is crazy for how common it is.

I experienced it for a while when I was about 10. I was told by my parents I was going to live forever in heaven. Everynight for about a week or two, I would go to bed and picture a record player going around and around and around and around and picturing my 'forever' life on that record player - never stopping. Everything around me felt surreal..life itself didnt even feel real. If I died that night, it probably wouldnt have even mattered to me. It was one of the most disturbing feelings you could have.

From my research, I think it related to a type of 'shock' where your brain just cannot deal with something so it moves your consciousness away for a little to protect you. You are still fully aware of everything around you, its just feels like a disturbingly disconnected state. So hard to explain though.

I thought I was the only one who experienced this feeling and I found out that it is highly related to intense problems that your mind has difficulty processing (in my case I couldnt deal with infinity). Its your minds way of protecting itself. I feel terrible for people who experience it on a common basis. I would never want to go back to those days when I had it for a bit. Wish there was more research and help for depersonalization.

den1

I had it quite bad for a few weeks when I was having panic attacks. It's an awful feeling. Nothing seems real. I didn't even feel real.

It's sort of like is my life just a big dream and all this isn't really happening, along with feelings that other people arnt real and you are trapped inside your own body and no-one can help you.

It is a crazy crazy state of mind and it really freaked me out.

rado31

Actually , few days ago i experienced it , with most intensity ever.
I dont want anybody to feel this shit. I believe it is caused by stress of SP.
I forced myself to go to a walk , and suddenly i felt tottaly deatached to everything i saw or heard or smell. Strange, strange , strange ! I somehow managed to enter whole lost in a grocery store and buy myself a can of bear. After drinking it in the park i somehow put myself with a world together. And than i felt enormous amount of anger against everything i saw( Remeber that even one dog was scared of me) . I usually dont drink beer cause after calming effect i feel more numb and thoughtful. At last, in the afternoon i was feeling totaly calm.

coriander1992

thanks for that Tyrin, i think i understand a bit more now! :)
it seems very strange, but interesting, to me, and i find it quite fascinating reading all your descriptions of it.

SocialRetahd

The best way to deal with it is forget that you are. This method DOES NOT work with anxiety, but it works slightly with depersonalization. I think part of depersonalization is over thinking.

rado31

What did u mean by 'Forget that you are'?

Mhm, i remember one recent occasion with DP happened to me recently.
One of my rare buddies bring me to a club to meet some peers of him. First i was good, made a few jokes , than they went outside to smoke pot (It is good that i avoid that mostly as usual). After they came back, they had trips and i felt like going home, but one guy started to tell me something and i simply couldnt concentrate, he insisted to hear my opinion, i forced myself to listen but failed. I felt like i m not there at all! Somehow, i made my excuse i ran from that club(bookstore)

Tryin

Hey, I guess SR is very right. Ignoration and not letting it influence you is the best way (although it's also interesting to explore the feeling and what it causes, one just shouldn't go too far with this kind of thoughts).

About describing depersonalization.. I think Comfortably Numb by Floyd very much expresses what it feels like. (For me, at least.)

Jegan

well, it's kind of hard to understand or explain. it's a feeling.. a state.. that I believe everybody experiences sometimes (e. g. when you are really really weary or under the influence of alcohol, drugs or something) but it's really hard to describe. it's really weird, the reality seems weird, unreal, you don't feel connected to it. it's like a dream, like you are not really alive, like it's not really you. like you were looking in or.. existing on some far away spot.. different level.. or not existing at all. complete disconnection.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGG this whole thing Discribes me.. this is just me..exactly me..OMG.. I've been experiencing this all my life, ever since i can remeber.. I knew I had something more than jus SP..and this it.. feeling unreal, a complete disconection with everyone.. u jus cant explain how u feel to anyone. :cry:

alex29

Ive had the experience several times over the past couple of years but it usually only lasts for a minute or so...so Im guessing its nothing serious for me?

InDeepshit

I've experienced this only once before - when i looked at my hand i felt that it wasn't mine and i wasn't controlling it. like an out of body experience but i was confined inside my head... almost like in that movie Being John Malkovich when the characters go into his head-but without the narrow vision.

Occasionally I will get depersonalization symptoms. Last week I was walking through the hall at college, and for a moment I took on a third-person perspective and everything sort of faded.

This only happens very occasionally. I think it's more because I've done too many drugs than any disorder... :/