Dentists and hairdressers

mostlyokay

Hi,

Does anyone else find it difficult sometimes at dentists and hairdressers? There's something about sharp implements near your face wielded by a stranger that makes me nervous. Sometimes I get a bit shaky. I find most people are fairly good about it and don't say mean or derogatory things in regards to it. Because I recently moved I needed to find a new hairdresser and dentist. Went to a hairdresser and found one that seemed great first time round really nice - no problems there. I mean I was nervous about going but she was fairly kind and it didn't seem to bother her, and of course it was great having a new cut. But today I went to the dentist. Dentist wasn't there only technician (rip off?). Was a bit more nervous, I hate having to hold my head still, got a little shaky. Technician didn't seem to mind this, or at least she didn't say, but on my notes I put down I was unemployed, (I'm looking though!). She alluded that there were no jobs in my area (true, less then my previous city) but when I told her I want to try admin, she said this was for "kids". Then she went on to say she knew another girl who had moved with her husband (for a similar role that my husband moved into), like me, but of course she found a job before she came. I felt pretty low. I mean I'm doing the best I can. It's amazing how some people can be so harshly judgemental when they don't know your full story. And I'm pretty sure that a lot of admin workers wouldn't like to hear that their roles were just for "kids". Think I might try a new place next time I need to go to the dentist....

Nathália

Sorry that person at the dentist office treated you that way. There is no reason you can't try that position if you wanted to. I don't like hair dressers unless I become familiar with them. Having contact with people like that, is sometimes difficult for me as well.

MikeyC

I don't think it was the dentist's intention to insult you, but there's a thousand dentists you could probably choose from, so definitely go to a new one.

I get my mum to cut my hair and I haven't been to the dentist in close to 15 years, I reckon. The more I avoid it, the better!