[Deleted for personal reasons]

Quiet Angel

Yeah, I can understand what you mean. Do you think some therapists are able to make a difference even though there isn't a lot of communication? Or do you feel comforted that someone is there to listen to whatever you want to say, even if you don't have much to talk about? Even if it's just random irrelevant stuff? Sometimes that's how therapeutic sessions are like. They don't expect you to be perfect... it's not a job interview, sometimes being there is better than not showing up at all. But hey, what do I know? I'm not a therapist? *lol* Hopefully what I said made some sense.

I'm deprived of sleep too!

beastie

When that happens to me I just talk about whatever's happening in my life or idle chitchat. Alot of times problems I hadn't thought about come up anyways. Worse comes to worse you wasted an hour practicing the social art of speaking to other people.

NickyNacker

Yes! I started seeing a therapist in 08 when my panic attacks started. I stopped seeing her in 09 because it wasn't going anywhere. One reason is because of what you said. Never had anything to talk about. And also because she was kind of a bitch (excuse me) and made me feel worse about myself. She would try to pressure me into getting a job, my ged, my permit. Whatever she felt I should do. And every session she would ask me if I had yet, and then bitch at me for not. And I don't think that was her place to tell me what to do with my personal life and make me feel like **** for not doing those things. Ya know? :/ So yeah, I stopped seeing her.

fitftw

I never talked to my therapist when I went for like 10 years starting at age 9. I didn't know them, I didn't like them. They didn't know what to do with me except put me on different meds.

Iseesky

I went to a therapist for my anxiety when I was 12 or 13. I went maybe 4 or 5 times and then stopped going. At that point I was so shy that just talking to the therapist was nervewracking. Plus, he wanted to know what was going on in my day to day life...How my relationships with friends and family and teachers were and those weren't/aren't my problems. So talking about my life doesn't do much. Maybe that's how you feel too.

I would love to get a therapist that just guides me. I would be totally open to talk about goals I could have and how to improve my social skills and confidence and things that would help my anxiety.

staticreflex

I would love to get a therapist that just guides me. I would be totally open to talk about goals I could have and how to improve my social skills and confidence and things that would help my anxiety.

hmmm, interesting, I had the same attitude when I first started therapy. I wanted to go out on "missions" and tackle my SA head on by getting assignments on how to interact with people but it seemed my therapists always shied away from those things. After a while I realized that I had internal problems to work on and that my therapist was good at that, but when I saw him teaching a class at my college I relized that he was ackward around people also and that is why he was uncomfortable with giving me ideas on how to socialize. I think he should have suggested someone else who would be more comfortable addressing my concerns, but I also realized that everyone, even therapists, can have issues.

theblank

I also realized that everyone, even therapists, can have issues.

That's the truth. My therapist is terrible and isn't very helpful. He just sits there and does nothing. He doesn't ask me questions, doesn't connect emotionally, doesn't suggest things or challenge me in any way. I feel like I'm the one doing all the work when it's supposed to be a two way street. If I don't come up with something to talk about...anything no matter how trivial...we will literally just sit there in silence for minutes on end and he'll terminate the session.

Feathers

There are A LOT of types of therapy - if you can, get a book and read about some. I did (some University libraries have them) and it was very eye-opening. It very much depends what your therapist specializes in and has studied. Some therapies can be better for certain types of problems than others, some therapists use a mixture of approaches, some only one... some only do one on one work, some work with small groups too..

If you only need social skills training, going to a social skills or assertiveness or drama workshop might be better.. Perhaps a small group could be better than one on one too, in some cases...

If you are not happy with your therapist, it might be good to 'shop around' a bit.. A lot has to do with the type of relationship you two develop, the techniques can be secondary.. If you really feel listened to and understood, that itself can be therapeutic.

I only felt that with a really cool doctor and she was not a 'psychology' therapist.. So, hm? Maybe just visit a few and talk to them and see if you guys 'click'?

Some therapies suggest that the therapist 'just listen', some are more into observation and commenting too, some 'challenge' people and help them discover things in the 'now' too (like CBT)...

I think thet personally I would like a combination of nutritional guidance+CBT perhaps in combination with creative techniques or something like that.. (not sure if it exists lol..)

So if you don't know what to talk about, you could bring something from your journal, or even stuff you wrote on this forum printed out and edited somewhat (to maintain anonymity)? Or you could bring a picture symbolizing how you feel... Or you could talk about stuff you asked here about, etc? Or stuff you really want to know?

EscapeArtist is really happy with her therapist, have you seen her post about it?

Last edited:
There are A LOT of types of therapy - if you can, get a book and read about some. I did (some University libraries have them) and it was very eye-opening. It very much depends what your therapist specializes in and has studied. Some therapies can be better for certain types of problems than others, some therapists use a mixture of approaches, some only one... some only do one on one work, some work with small groups too..

If you only need social skills training, going to a social skills or assertiveness or drama workshop might be better.. Perhaps a small group could be better than one on one too, in some cases...

If you are not happy with your therapist, it might be good to 'shop around' a bit.. A lot has to do with the type of relationship you two develop, the techniques can be secondary.. If you really feel listened to and understood, that itself can be therapeutic.

I only felt that with a really cool doctor and she was not a 'psychology' therapist.. So, hm? Maybe just visit a few and talk to them and see if you guys 'click'?

Some therapies suggest that the therapist 'just listen', some are more into observation and commenting too, some 'challenge' people and help them discover things in the 'now' too (like CBT)...

I think thet personally I would like a combination of nutritional guidance+CBT perhaps in combination with creative techniques or something like that.. (not sure if it exists lol..)

So if you don't know what to talk about, you could bring something from your journal, or even stuff you wrote on this forum printed out and edited somewhat (to maintain anonymity)? Or you could bring a picture symbolizing how you feel... Or you could talk about stuff you asked here about, etc? Or stuff you really want to know?

EscapeArtist is really happy with her therapist, have you seen her post about it?

Thank you very much for all the great advice, Feathers. You're a sweetheart for caring that much. ;D

But it's actually fine now. ;3 I was a bit down when I posted this and had made little progress at the time.
It's allot better now. :3

Feathers

Thank you very much for all the great advice, Feathers. You're a sweetheart for caring that much. ;D

But it's actually fine now. ;3 I was a bit down when I posted this and had made little progress at the time.
It's allot better now. :3

Aww, I forgot to look at the date!! :)

Great to hear it's better now!!