dancing??

xkiss_me_nowx

when im at my friends house, and theirs a load of us, we turn the music up full blast and stuffs.. and theyll be like dancing and theyll ask me to join them and ill be like ehh no and i really wanna join them with it.. but i just feel stupid if i start dancin with them.. like i feel as if theyd be lookin at me thinkin omg she cant dance.. etc

anyone else have this problem? where they cant just get up and dance nd stuff.. its my confidence, i hardly have any :(

Richey

:p ...oh yes!

looks like you really do want to dance from what i read so i think what i have to say may help ya a little, im not bothered by it to be honest because im into rock/punk/electronica music and i dont dance to music unless i like the song thats being played, if a song comes on that i love then ill have a shuffle, im fine with it, sure there are people i know who just want to dance for attention and thats their choice, i get strange comments like "why you hardly ever dance?" ...and i just inform them :D

1. you dont have to be a great dancer to dance
2. is the song that is playing, do you genuinely enjoy it, because your not seriously going to enjoy it if its a song that your not into, thats just me, if you just want to get up and dance then thats different, if your not seriously into music and you just want to get up and move then forget everything i just said :p
3. even if you look like what you think is an "unco-ordinated dancer" ...most people are enjoying themselves and are glad that you are too, and you probably look fine dancing but your telling yourself that your no good at it.
4. many of the pioneers of house/dance music who were musicians/DJ's of the manchester music scene could not dance to save themselves, their unique style looked hilarious and people didnt care.
5. dancing is a choice, not everyone likes it, so its your choice to have a go or not, its like a sport, not everyone enjoys basketball, not everyone enjoys athletics, but its always healthy to try new things.
6. practice in a mirror at home with some music on, and practice basic moves, again you dont have to be a pro with all these stunning moves, which most people find intimidating anyway

Kinetik

Whenever I've been in that sort of situation I've always tried my hardest to make sure I have my hands full - beer and a cigarette, for example. That way, I can just sort of swagger, and hopefully at that point I'm also tipsy to the stage where I can feel okay doing that.

SqueakyGibson

Oh yeah - dancing. Nightmare. I have never, and will never dance. I hope I can explain my feelings.

I just don't get it. I don't feel it. It looks like a weird alien thing to me. Why on earth would a human being move their body to music?? It perplexes me. I know I'm screwed up - I can't tell if its the social phobia or the depresion that makes me so unmoved by music; but music has never given me a desire to move my body to it rhythmically. Nothing moves me or excites me. It feels like I'm dead inside... but I never notice I have such numbness to such things until I remember the social pressure to dance.

Ah, the social pressure. I hate the fact that dancing is such a... mating ritual. A thing young people do when connecting socially. That's a whole area I'm inept and useless in.

I don't even want to watch people dance. It's like, if you can dance, you intimidate me. You're so socially extroverted that I can't comprehend you. But that's the usual "resenting normal people because I'm screwed up" thing.

themousethatroared

I went to a wedding a week ago and I knew that at some point I would be dancing. I watched the other people dancing and they seemed so unaware of other people and they were very good. I waited and waited until I felt comfortable with the right kind of song and away I went. I think I danced four or five times which was very good for me. I stuck to the only dance I know which is a simple one. It worked well. I was not going to go wild with my arms swinging around or something elaborate. I had a good time getting out of my seat and I began to smile more. I like to dance a little wild in front of the mirror though.

Richey

cutefluffykitten said:
some very good ideas there though ......im just amusing myself with the thought of seeing myself practising dancing infront of a mirror hahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

im crying here :lol:

:p .....also invite the neighbours over to see what they think :lol:
aaah come on, im sure you'd look great cfk.

my book of groove tips is coming out soon :wink:

Bearly

Hi Kiss me now,

May I suggest for you and others:

1. Take beginning dance lessons at a community dance center or studio. There are some fun dance styles out there, such as swing dancing, and you don't need to bring a partner. If you go to a beginners class, no one else dances very well and they are more worried about how they're dancing than your self. If your worried about dancing with strangers, bring a friend as a partner. If group dance lessons are too much for you due to SA, take private lessons. It may be tough, but I highly recommend that you try it. Once you are comfortable dancing at dance lessons, you will be more comfortable dancing with your friends. I tried this, and it really helped me.

2. Put on some music at home that really makes you want to dance or tap your feet. If you drink, have a drink or two and then start dancing away. Forget the mirror part, just let it all hang out, even put some effort into making it a little crazy. Dancing can be a great way to feel good and release pent up emotions. So go for it.

scatmantom

I love dancing when i go out and ive had a few drinks. If I'm stone cold sober then chances of me dancing are slim to none. Depends on the company as well. My mates all laugh at me when i dance cos im so rubbish and pull off the lamest moves, but i laugh as well as thats why I do it...for a laugh :lol:

cLavain

It's hard to understand how someone can not feel like moving to a good beat, but then I really love music. I'm crap at dancing, but fortunately I've noticed something: The majority of people are crap at dancing. That helps. Of course, alcohol must be involved and there must be lots of people on the floor, otherwise I would never dare.

maggie

i could never dance in public..not fast dancing anyway..i could never feel comfortable enough to do that :oops: