Cut back on tastes.

I've decided that I need to cut back on my tastes, because the things I will never be able to have are just depressing me by perpetually wanting them. Smart thing to do?

I've seen the main entrees, and as delicious as they seem, they're unattainable, so instead I'm just going to settle for a bowl of cereal.

I hope this makes sense to someone.

BlackKids

erm what? lol
Are you trying to diet so you think that if you eat bland food you'll get used to it and not desire great tasting food.
I've done that before and it normally only lasted a few weeks as Its human nature to desire sweet foods.
I'm "dieting" at the minute. I'm cutting back on snacking, doing more exercise and allowing myself 1 day a week to eat what I want within reason. Not sure if that answered your question.

It's basically a big metaphor for settling for less, of everything. Whether it be jobs, friends, or overall lifestyle, the fact that I cannot have what I truly want in any of these categories is depressing me. So I'm simply going to lower my standards.

But I suppose actual food could fit into that as well, since I've also become more complacent in the kitchen.

Last edited:

Generical

I'm thinking it's more to do with stop wishing for stuff you can never have or close to that and go with what you do have and what are presently obtainable as you probably don't need the far off things to have happiness or whatever you're after. Meant generally.

[heh shoulda refreshed before posting]

I'm thinking it's more to do with stop wishing for stuff you can never have or close to that and go with what you do have and what are presently obtainable as you probably don't need the far off things to have happiness or whatever you're after. Meant generally.

[heh shoulda refreshed before posting]

precisely ;)

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure that the main entrees have to remain unattainable. Anything is possible if you believe in yourself, but it does take a lot of effort and patience. However, it could be a matter of perspective as well... you may find that what you see as a bowl of cereal now is actually caviar in disguise.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure that the main entrees have to remain unattainable. Anything is possible if you believe in yourself, but it does take a lot of effort and patience. However, it could be a matter of perspective as well... you may find that what you see as a bowl of cereal now is actually caviar in disguise.

Yeah, the way I see it, is right now, I'm seated in a fancy restaurant eating McDonald's while everyone else around me is eating fresh lobster. Basically, I'm in the wrong restaurant.

I love food metaphors.

philly2bits

Some people may like a bowl of cereal over caviar. I don't know quite how to describe that in none food terms though.

Some people may like a bowl of cereal over caviar. I don't know quite how to describe that in none food terms though.

You're right, and you don't need to describe it in non-food terms... everyone has different tastes. I've never actually tried caviar, so it could be that I would prefer the cereal. But it's also a matter of finding out... even if you have access to the caviar, you might not be brave enough to try it.

philly2bits

You're right, and you don't need to describe it in non-food terms... everyone has different tastes. I've never actually tried caviar, so it could be that I would prefer the cereal. But it's also a matter of finding out... even if you have access to the caviar, you might not be brave enough to try it.

Are we still talking in metaphors?:confused::confused:

BlackKids

It's basically a big metaphor for settling for less, of everything. Whether it be jobs, friends, or overall lifestyle, the fact that I cannot have what I truly want in any of these categories is depressing me. So I'm simply going to lower my standards.

But I suppose actual food could fit into that as well, since I've also become more complacent in the kitchen.

Whoosh!!! Straight over my head :)

Midnight_Violet

yeah..i get you, i'm on the other side of it though, I naturally settled for the peanut butter cap'n crunch and now i realize that i've been crunch-a-tize by that cap'n for way too long. It's time for some filet mignon-bitchez!

(i can decipher that if needed)::p: