Counselling...?

Phoenixx

What's this? My first thread? Only 2000+ posts later. :rolleyes: (Don't make fun of me :p)

Anyway, I'm just wondering, does counselling help at all? And what am I to expect? I know it's not a cure for anything, but I just want as much help as I can at this point. That is, if it does help.

The reason why I ask is, I've really been considering making myself an appointment. College... hasn't been good for me. At all. I thought I'd be at least a little happy by now, but it seems like I've just been stuck in the same awful moods for 4 weeks now, with constant anxiety and fear. I feel awful, I can't think straight, I can't even focus in class and I find myself falling asleep, very rarely do I even get enough sleep, or even eat for that matter (but that's a whole different cause >.>), and my roommate certainly doesn't help matters any. I've seriously been considering dropping after this semester (which ends in Dec.) and just moving to online classes.

I do know that with this counselor, if he feels you need it, he'll recommend a therapist and set you up with an appointment. But that's the thing. If he does recommend a therapist, I don't even have the money to pay for one, and I have no idea if my health insurance even covers it. I certainly don't want to ask my parents about it or tell them anything right off, since they don't know a thing about my anxiety. I'd rather just keep this all private still, until I somehow work up the courage to tell them.

I guess what I'm afraid of is that this counselor is just going to listen to me ramble, maybe (or maybe not) recommend a therapist I can't use, and then not bother helping from there.

I just feel so lost. I'm stuck. And I don't really know what to do...

Assume the visit to the counselor does nothing for you. Then you'll had lost nothing.

But what if it helps you?

You can win so much.

That's why I'm precisely having my first appointment with my university's psychologist tomorrow. I know it can't get worst, so it worth trying.

coyote

yes, you have nothing to lose by going

try not to predict the future - just go and find out

BiWinning

Good for you Mr. Tino, Mr. Arthur, and Ms. Phoenixx!
I bet counselling will help bunches!
I probably need it *glances around hospital room*