Confident only when hated

Apersonalan

I just realized I'm only confident when I'm hated but when I'm liked I shy away from people... wtf lol.

If you know you're hated, you have nothing to lose. When people like you (or at least you know they don't dislike you), there's the feeling that asserting yourself may give them a reason to dislike you. I actually have never felt that I was hated, but I can imagine it could give you a sense of freedom in a way- you don't have to worry about ending up on someone's bad side, since you're already there.

If you know you're hated, you have nothing to lose. When people like you (or at least you know they don't dislike you), there's the feeling that asserting yourself may give them a reason to dislike you. I actually have never felt that I was hated, but I can imagine it could give you a sense of freedom in a way- you don't have to worry about ending up on someone's bad side, since you're already there.

Interesting thought there.

I find that I am anxious when I know I'm disliked. I wish I had the OP's "problem" haha.

Interesting thought there.

I find that I am anxious when I know I'm disliked. I wish I had the OP's "problem" haha.

Well, it could work the other way, too. If you know you're hated, you may go out of your way to make them like you instead. It may depend on why they don't like you (or if you even know the reason). Not knowing the reason may make you feel powerless to do anything, or if the reason is a silly/ridiculous/unjustified one you may feel like nothing you do will change their minds anyway (or make you not care if that particular person ever likes you).

Apersonalan

I wouldn't say it makes me feel comfortable or uncomfortable that's another direction but if you're hated you feel the worst has already happened so you don't worry about it anymore and just do what you want. When everyone is happy around me I feel like the odd one out.

O'Killian

I get where the OP's coming from, though I've rarely known folks to openly hate me. But there's comfort in knowing where you stand with someone, and with hate there is a certain freedom to being able to disregard their opinion. For some of us maybe it's scarier to have the thought of someone liking you and then that changing once you're invested in that relationship.