Compulsive eating, but only at work

MaxineRyder

I dont know if this is OCD or what, but since I already have OCD, i thought i'd start by questioning the lovely folks in the OCD forum :)

OK so here's the thing and if anyone can help me to understand this i would be most grateful.
I do all my eating at work. From the moment i leave the house in the morning until the moment i leave my work building at night i cannot stop eating. As soon as i return home and also all through the weekend, I am able to subsist on three meals a day. But at work i am hungry hungry hungry all throughout the day.
And i know i'm not actually hungry, because most of the time my stomach is uncomfortably stretched from all the eating and i have relux acid and cramps and everything, but still, so long as i am in front of my computer at work i cannot stop eating.
Stomach pains, nausea, acid, cramps, none of these things will stop me from eating all day long so long as i am at the office.
For many years now, i have deliberately made myself late for work (the last four jobs), as every minute spent not in the office is minute of NOT eating and therefore calories saved. I'm now thinking of quitting my job, just so as to lose weight.
Why is that??? Heeeeeeeeeeelp.
Maxine xxx

Emily_G

Could be lots of things. Boredom is one. Another is habit...lots of people eat when they watch televison, just because it's something they always do.

Try chewing gum, something that lasts a long time like Stride. Always have something to drink within reach, like flavored water or diet pop. Heck even non-diet pop is better than eating all day. Eat popcorn, very low in calories. Go for a walk during your lunch break- instead of eating during lunch, since you do that all day.

Just some ideas...I've struggled with weight all my life and these things do help if you put your mind to them.

MaxineRyder

Dear Emily
Thanks for your advice. I certainly find that drinking tons and tons of water helps somewhat. Still i wish i could just get through a work day without becoming insatiable.
I think boredome might have something to do with it :)
Maxine xxx

Feathers

Maxine, boredom or stress or trying to concentrate could all make you eat.. (Do you have ADD-ish symptoms too?)

I second going for a walk or even just to the water cooler or to the toilet whenever you can..
Also, stay away from sweet stuff and soda pop!! (They can make OCD or other things worse, and can be addictive!) Water or herbal teas can be better..
What sort of stuff do you eat at work? I found I got hungry quickly after vegetarian 'white bread' sandwiches, a rye bread sandwich with meat could make me fuller for longer, fresh veggies or salad are very cool alongside it too..

I try to stay away from chewing gum, it can damage teeth (especially if you already have fillings, it can pull them out - happened to my Mum lots!) and sugar in it can damage teeth too, or sugar replacements can be even worse for your health than sugar!

Could you do other things to prevent boredom? eg compete with yourself, or make graphs of your progress, or knit or whatever? Listening to music might help if it's allowable? Or chatting to people in the breaks?