Coming off benzos... Anyone else?

Luna1740

So, after 5 years I'm coming off of my meds and it is living hell. I've spent the last year and a half doing EMDR twice a week and recently checked into the hospital to be pulled off of my meds.
Anyone else ever had to come off of Benzodiazapines? I'm two weeks in to coming off of 5mgs of ativan a day for 5 years, and it is living hell. I'm having violent hallucinations (visual and tactile), uncontrollable muscle twitches, a torn up stomach, very high blood pressure (almost had a stroke in the hospital), panic attacks, depression, etc. My doctor says it'll last for several months :/
I was first put on ativan when my anxiety reached the point to where I was incapable of getting out of bed, having panic attacks constantly, agoraphobic, had to be carried to the bathroom, hallucinating/delusional from the lack of sleep due to being so anxious. So there absolutely is a time when the medicine is needed. I just feel like I should have been told that they were designed for short term use from the beginning and switched to something like a beta blocker once I leveled out, idk.