College!!

WelshOne

I'm in the same boat.

I start on Sept 7 (2 weeks from now) and when I think about it I have my doubts about wether I'll be able to handle it. So... I'm not thinking about it. I'm going to get up on the morning of the 7th, shower and shave, get in my car and drive down there, THEN deal with it. Usually when I'm actually in the situation, my mind goes into auto-pilot and I'm fine, so I'm hoping it will be that way for college, too.

Going to be taking a few diazepam - from my Dr - that morning as well though, to take the edge of the anxiety.

Good luck to you, though. Please do let us know how it goes, if you have the time :)

this_portrait

I move into my dorm/apartment tomorrow, and then I start classes on Monday. I'm a little nervous, mainly because I'm getting a new roommate, but overall I'm looking forward to it.

JCS008

I say: Study hard, go to class as often as you can and get a lot of experience. On the social aspect, don't be worried about meeting new people and trying to present yourself. Most people have the same concerns and want to meet new people as well. So don't let that hold you back from networking. Best scenario, find a few organizations you're interested in and join them! College is basically what you make of it. Some love it, some hate it. So, good luck to you!

timidhorse

Usually the first day is not bad, think about the consecutive days. Only speak when spoken to if you're overly nervous that day. I usually ask a question of a classmate, people will be kind to answer because they are just as nervous the first week.

lithium

"SMOKE WEED" as you would say! :D

Nah, I'm done with that, I need to study/focus on my future.
Anyways, it's only Saturday and my anxiety is still to the point that it feels like tomorrow is Monday. I wonder how it will be Sunday night, I probably won't be able to sleep ( like I don't have that already) =(

iamthenra

Smoke weed... Haha!
3760730356_ae96f328d8_o.gif

Yeah... me too.... Starting college on Monday the 24th for the second time in my life... Jeeze... Who would have thought that being an electronic tech would no longer be needed??? Weird... So I am 41, going back to school to hang out with the young pups... I just hope I still have it in me to get good grades. Not nearly as sharp as I used to be. Sadly age does take it's toll on a person.

Anomaly

Lab time is a good time to make contacts. That way you can easily make study groups.

As for me, unless I get lucky and add into General Bio, I'll be taking 20 units next semester D:

Outshined

I just started classes again a few days ago. I've got another semester or two left before I graduate. Don't sweat it. You're probably going to find college a lot easier to handle than highschool. I know I did. I have moderate SA, and I don't find it too hard to manage it in the college setting. The personal freedom is a nice thing. Just remember what you're there for, but chill and enjoy yourself too.

Last edited:

this_portrait

So I moved in today, and I'm feeling pretty confident about this year. My new roommate actually talks to me (unlike the one from last year), and I think we'll be able to get along. Hopefully my classes will go well, too.

The only thing that sucks is that there isn't any internet in my apartment/dorm this year. >.< So I'm stuck going to places where there actually is internet.

lithium

Wow, this whole day has been stomach acheS and "nervous shits/piss". No lie, I must have gone to the bathroom over 20 times just today. In fact, I have to urinate at this very moment. Oh god, I cannot imagine what it's gonna be like in the morning. I set up 4 alarms clocks. 3 on my phone, and one on my real alarm clock, just to make sure I wake up. My first class is at 10:00, and I'm waking up at 7 just to have extra time to use the bathroom haha. Wish me luck. =)

Good luck! College isn't too bad. It's so much better than high school, especially if you're at a big college. Just don't do what I did and become a loner. Are you living in a dorm? That might be a great way for you to meet people. I personally hated living in a dorm and now have an apartment. But I'm a loner who barely speaks to anyone, so you might have a better experience. You'll do fine. Kudos for making studying your top priority. Studying with people is also a good way to meet new people and possibly make friends. I'm in my final year of college and regret not getting really involved with clubs. That is another word of advice.

Just take deep breaths. You'll make it through your first day I promise!! If I can do it, anyone can.

lithium

Thanks so much. I'm not staying in a dorm, since I live relatively close to the university. I have to drive; it takes about 20 minutes or so.
I'll let you know how it went =)

Outshined

Yeah, it's good to give yourself some extra time to get there and find your first class. Remember, you can always walk out of the room if you need to. If it's your first day all the professors (or TA's) will do is give their introduction, hand out the course syllabus, and just talk about what you'll be doing in their classes. They might give a little lecture, and then it'll be over. Soon enough you'll realize it's not that bad. I remember being in a big, filled lecture for the first few times was fkn intimidating. That's just my social anxiety though.

Last edited:

PhobiaTired

Im going back to community college tomarrow and im sooooooo nervous!
I think im not going to able to sleep tonight...
I am scared that we are going to have to introduce ourselves to the class and that is one of the many things that stresses me out ::(:
Also I get sooo sad when everyone seems to know each other and I just sit there looking around feeling sorry for myself....

I had forgotten how bad classes and presentations could be...also not looking foward to my public speaking class.

Quiet Angel

-Smile
-Positive attitute
-Organize everything
-Listen attentively
-Cling onto the syllabus

Just go in there with a good attitude.
For many people, college can be some
of the best years.

NothingElseMatters

i am starting on Monday.I have 10 exams i have to take because i missed most of them in the last semester
Going to college is scary at first.But it's worth trying
Good luck to everyone.Make the best out of it