Collaborate on a song about Social Phobia

HANDS

Hi everyone.
As I've found a lot of comfort in writing songs about my anxiety and that way getting it (kinda) out of my system, I was wondering if any of you guys would be interested in trying that as well?

I was thinking we all could collaborate on the lyrics and then I'd turn it into a song. Kind of a song about Social Anxiety by people who deal with it :)

So I would greatly appreciate it if you could write a small 'story' about your experience with Social Anxiety. It could be anything and any length. I'd be happy with a word, a sentence or a whole paragraph :)

I'll then take all of your stories as inspiration and combine and distill them to lyrics.

Thanks heaps, and if you have any questions, let me know!

P.S. this has my anxiety spiked a bit :eek:mg: Hope you don't think I'm just here to get something from you. So please, if there's anything please tell me or ask me. I'm happy to talk/discuss.

Ooh, and if you want to hear my style as a singer/songwriter, or my songs about Anxiety, I'll leave a link here:
https://soundcloud.com/officialhands

Last edited:

Papp

It looks as if I'm calm, but there's actually a big mess mess mess inside me.

P.S. Nice music :) I think it's very original to create songs in such way, talking about anxiety or phobia!

And I'm also working on a project: http://sharingdreams.wordpress.com

Last edited:

Hot_Tamale

Something that I've found always works for me is to take an already existing song and change the lyrics one verse at a time, just a thought. But nice idea! I hope you get far with it!

HANDS

Something that I've found always works for me is to take an already existing song and change the lyrics one verse at a time, just a thought. But nice idea! I hope you get far with it!

It's not necessarily that I have trouble with coming up with lyrics or a melody or anything. For this I just really wanted to collaborate with other people who experience similar feelings as myself to create a more 'complete' or 'diverse' view on the subject.

But thanks for the tip! And if you'd like to contribute, you'd make me a happy man! :blushing:

EDIT: And Papp, I thought I had responded already but something must've gone wrong. Thanks for the input though! And love your project too, very inspiring and touching to read other people's dreams!

Last edited:

Papp

Thanks, Hands! Sadly, very few participators in my project :/

And not many collaborators with your song! Come on, people :) Up for a topic

HANDS

Thanks, Hands! Sadly, very few participators in my project :/

And not many collaborators with your song! Come on, people :) Up for a topic

Yeah, I was hoping more people would've joined in. But I've still got some hope :)

Maybe I should rearrange my question a bit to maybe lower the threshold. I can imagine these questions are a bit vague and hard to answer maybe.

Last edited:

grapevine

I guess,

frozen and still,
ashamed and embarrassed
less than
wanting to just go home
body so tense didnt realise until when I get home
Cold sweat from marathon anxiety inside
the death gulp of doom
Just wanting to cry
to hide
hard to speak
it just wont come out
like a hand over my throat squeezing
blurred vision with so many people about
feel like a nothing
in the midst of a human plague

HANDS

I guess,

frozen and still,
ashamed and embarrassed
less than
wanting to just go home
body so tense didnt realise until when I get home
Cold sweat from marathon anxiety inside
the death gulp of doom
Just wanting to cry
to hide
hard to speak
it just wont come out
like a hand over my throat squeezing
blurred vision with so many people about
feel like a nothing
in the midst of a human plague

Wow thanks! Some great metaphors! Can definitly work with this

HANDS

I just wanted to let you guys know that I've also asked another forum for some input/stories. That forum seems to be a bit more active so a song has already risen from that 'session'.

I would still love you guys' input as I feel it would take a couple of songs to 'explain' the whole spectrum of Social Anxiety.

I'll post you guys a link as soon as it's up! Thanks again!

closethomosape

Here you go:
Interestingly, I didn't develop it until my first year of college which was like almost a year ago. So, I've only been incapacitated by it for about a year. I always had low self-esteem, which I don't know where it came from. I had an extremely supportive family so the only thing I can think of is school which honestly is what made me feel shitty 99% of my childhood. So that became a bad attitude about everything, plus I did some bad things which haunted me for years later. I recognized at an early age that I had an overinflated ego, so I got into the habit of saying mean things to myself to compensate. The problem was (and is) really just a FRAGILE ego so yeah I kind of traumatized myself. I also did a sport in high school for all the wrong reasons and that whole experience reinforced a lot of obsessive hypercritical tendencies despite the progress I made in it. So, basically I think I just finally snapped in college. Nothing in particular happened other than what happens when you suddenly develop intense social anxiety and have to share a small room with a person and you stick through the whole year. It was also in Baltimore so low-key I was fearing for my life every once in a while. I still get crime alert emails from that school. I have a lot of anxiety on my dad's side so I was predisposed to it I think. Also, if anyone has any information about propranolol and how that has worked for you or someone you know, I'd like to hear about that please. I'm still using CBT but it's exhausting to constantly monitor your own thoughts. Thanks! Hope this post helps! :)

closethomosape

Honestly, there's a LOT I could fix on this, but I think there's some stuff you might be able to take from it, hopefully. It's a short free-write piece I wrote:

Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. The hot sweaty air hangs around your body. What are they thinking? Your eyes, outwardly as veiled as a queen’s, but inwardly, they are cracking ever so slightly. Mirror, mirror on the wall. *Crack* You desperately try to keep up with the conversation while giving what theoretically should be your most radiant self-assured smile.:ironicsmile: You turn a corner of your mouth about to give out. Dark. Where is that sound coming from?:question: *Scattered breathing* I hear it somewhere in these caverns. I can hear it. What’s wrong with me? “So what are your plans?” Could my breath be any shallower? Don’t look in their eyes, they can sense fear. They can. A blurry light pulses. Like looking at a bright lamp through your eyelids. I turn the corner. They can see my fear. Stop asking questions. I’m not here! Why does it matter what they think? Why should I care? “But, why should I risk it?”:) wide-eyed, the foul creature in me whispers. There, huddled in the pulsing meaty corners of my brain, it’s eyes dart frantically, gnawing on shards of my self-confidence. Bloody-mouthed, it whispers, “Why should I let them hurt me? What if we…fail?” It’s last word, quivering, slicing through the empty cavernous air like a wobbling blade. I am quiet. We eat. A binge of shame.