City Life and Alienation

this_portrait

All right, so... I'm posting this not only because I'm in this very situation and have a general interest in it, but also because I'm writing a magazine article for a class and I need some real-life experiences to add to it that aren't my own (any names I use will be anonymous, of course). If you're fine with me quoting you, say so. If you're not, then you say so, too.

On to the topic...

I moved to Chicago at least part-time in late 2008, when I first started school at one of the many universities located throughout the city. I was looking forward to being in a new environment and had a very idealistic outlook on how my experiences would turn out. Growing up, a lot of people (especially family) would tell me that the college years would be the best of my life and that I would make all sorts of lasting friendships there. I believed that, and I also believed I would fit in better there, as I was kind of the freak in high school.

God, was I wrong...

I know I haven't lived even a quarter of my life yet, but I must say, the first four years of school here were the worst of my life so far. I graduated last year, and I haven't talked to any of my former classmates AT ALL, except for maybe on Facebook. I stayed here to look for a job because the economy is so much sh**tier in my hometown that moving back there would be a huge mistake. Since I didn't make any friends as an undergrad, it then became supposed I would make friends once I got a job (and now it's once I go to grad school).

But really, I feel like a ghost here. I don't have it in me to make the effort and reach out to strangers I find interesting in hopes of making friends. Seems like the only strangers who attempt talking to me are the weird ones (and I don't mean that in a good way). I don't know how or why I'm even living here aside from pure economic and academic reasons. I don't get how a place that is teeming with social activity can be so exclusive to anyone who doesn't open their mouth and do all the approaching.

I feel like I don't belong here, and I can't explain why. I used to think that maybe I was too low-class, too reserved, too much of white trash, too much of this, that, or whatever, to be a part of this all-encompassing city, but now I just can't come up with a reason why I feel so out of place here, and it seems like it's starting to really do a number on my psychological health. A lot of the articles I'm reading for my article cite New York as a reference for what I'm going through, but I definitely feel that Chicago could just as easily be lumped in.

Does anyone else on here live (or used to live) in a city and have similar experiences and feelings? I don't expect any solutions to my own dilemma in your responses; I just want to know if I'm the only one going through this.

jaim38

I also went through similar experiences and would like to remain anonymous in the article.
I moved away from a mid-sized town to live in 2 different cities but couldn't fit anywhere. At the first university, I had probably 1-2 friends but I've lost contact with them. At the second university in another city, I had no friends, except for a former classmate (can I really call him a friend?). I was bullied as well, especially at the second school. Almost everywhere I go, I feel like I don't belong. I started walking hunching my back even further and lost a lot of confidence. I've lived in different inner-city neighborhoods and the neighbors didn't like me, probably because I never socialized with them. My brother was kind of abusive towards me when I lived with him.

After feeling suicidal and at the lowest point in my life, I finally moved back home, despite my brother's pleas to continue staying at the city. I've had enough. Now I'm recovering.

Kiwong

Country life and isolation can be just as bad. Like everyone knows you and your weirdness. At least in the city you can escape into anonymity.

hidwell

No matter where you live you will be the same person, and your troubles and demons will follow you just like your shadow.