Chronic hyperventilation

Acegame

Hi, i was wondering if anyone is familiar with chronic hyperventilation.

Since a week or two i'm having several weird symtoms. It started with a burning feeling on the skin of my left wrist eventhough my skin looks normal, which later spread to the upside of my hand. Especially at night this causes discomfort and in the morning the joint of my wrist feels really painfull and stiff. Sometimes it even feels a little numb or like its sleeping. A few days later i felt the same burning feeling on the left side of my chest and at the same place on my back

Because i never felt something like this before it worried me a bit and i started searching on internet. At some point i came across the term "chornic hyperventilation" what really seems to fit my symptoms. It's not like normal hyperventilation when someone has to breath into a bag, but more like constantly breathing the wrong way. Hyperventilation means breathing in to much air which has its affect on the amount of CO 2 in the blood.

Now i have always been aware of the fact that my breathingtechnique is wrong. I often feel the need of breathing deeply and i yawn allot (which is the same as breathing deep). Especially in situations where im anxious i have problems breathing normal. And because i also read that chronic hyperventilation is caused by concious or unconcious anxiety, it al seems to fit the picture.

So i was wondering if there are more people who recognize this or know what to do about it.

Ps. Dottie if you are reading this, i saw you made a thread about breathing and i was going to reply but by accident i pressed the "go to the previous page" button so my whole reply was deleted::p:

Last edited:

hoddesdon

Hyperventilation is a typical symptom and is what causes the feeling of dizziness or light-headness. It tends to make speaking more difficult as well. To counteract this it is necessary to breathe from the diaphragm rather than from the chest. The book "Painfully Shy" by Barbara Markway contains some breathing exercises.

Remus

Staff member
I had this when I suffered badly with panic disorder, best see a doc so he rule out anything else.

Personally I found meditation and cutting out caffiene helped best. Though these are pretty good lifestyle changes anyway.