Children with social anxiety are perceived less attractive.

bsammy

thats almost a no brainer tbh because social anxiety/phobia just makes a person look less attractive due to low self confidence..holding themselves in a weak way...

Great. Now I'm socially abnormal AND unattractive.

But we figured that out already, didn't we? I mean, I might be awkward, but even I realise that others find you a pathetic mess if you never talk to anyone.

Helmaninquiel

Does anyone think maybe the reason they are less attractive is cause they have issues, such as depression and just don't care about there appearance as much as the average person.

bsammy

^^well its the social anxiety that causes a person to hold their heads low, not smile as often, not walk confidently...so it does make a person look less attractive..

ill go one step further and say many non-extroverted behaviors make people look less attractive..if someone is generally laid back and boring, or if their attitude doesnt shine, ie they arent social or they are moody or too bookwormy, they will look much less attractive..i have seen many women that are pretty attractive but their personalities are very wooden, they are boring, or snobbish..it almost knocks them down to the 'not attractive' group..

it makes a person look much better if they have a sparkly personality ie they are positive, easy going, outgoing, social, energetic, confident...

awkwardamanda

Well, it could be that symptoms of anxiety cause a person to seem unattractive. But since correlation does not imply causation, it could also be that someone who is perceived as unlikable and unattractive in the first place is more likely to end up with social anxiety.:rolleyes:

It works both ways here.

da_illest101

I'm a huge contradiction to that statement, but I can see how it makes sense. People always came to me for my looks, but drop me as soon as they realized that I was just a quiet guy that couldn't get comfortable in the public

OvidiuDanut

More correctly would be children with bad social skills are less attractive. I was marginalized since my earlyiest childhood despite being an energetic child and back then i had no SA. Only at 12-13 y old i began to feel there s something wrong, and things went from bad to worse.
And of course as someone above said SA tend to neglect the way they appear in public and in a society where looks matter alot...well...go figure.

NP88

Does anyone think maybe the reason they are less attractive is cause they have issues, such as depression and just don't care about there appearance as much as the average person.

I would put my money on a failure to integrate into the social norm as the reason. People generally don't like you when your 'different'. Especially regarding social habits. Also I find SA and depression go hand in hand. People are attracted to those that are happy and have a sense of belonging in life and especially in society...

hidwell

I would put my money on a failure to integrate into the social norm as the reason. People generally don't like you when your 'different'. Especially regarding social habits. Also I find SA and depression go hand in hand. People are attracted to those that are happy and have a sense of belonging in life and especially in society...

Couldn't agree with you more, well put :)