causes of SA and medication...

Jaspion

Does anyone know how to establish whether social phobia has been caused by my twisted thinking or has been caused by inherited brain defects?

Because for me it does make a difference. I just want to know - if it is inherited than I suppose medication is needed. So does anyone know any effective methods to check that? Brain scans? blood tests? Other reliable tests?

Thanks for the help !!!

Section_31

I think it can be caused by both.

In both me and my wife, both of our families had a history of people who exhibited S/A behaviour. My grandmother in particular was known to be quite "flightly". so was my mother, but then my mom had way worse mental problems.

Im now on medication for the same types of imbalances and its helped me tremendously, i feel whole. I didnt before.

That said, i do think it can be onset by bad childhood experiences as well, theres no one thing that causes it IMHO.

Moa

Does anyone know how to establish whether social phobia has been caused by my twisted thinking or has been caused by inherited brain defects?

I don't think there is a way to tell how your social phobia was caused, but there is a good chance that medication will help you either way. :)

Jaspion

thanks for the comments.

The problem is that I read about side effects - some are really worrying me :(
If its inherited than I guess I don't have much choice (in my case there is a history of phobias in my mother and grandmother as well) I will just accept that everyone has some health problems and in my case these are mental - in general I am a very healthy person apart SA...

but if it were only bad experiences from childhood than I suppose if I (or the environment) "planted" it into my head, I can also fight it without medication

Moa

I wouldn't worry about the side effects. Those lists of side effects are published as a legal disclaimer of sorts. A lot of people take medication with little or no side effects at all. I've been taking Zoloft for years with no side effects, my boyfriend has been taking Wellbutrin for about a year with no side effects. We both wish we had started taking our medication sooner because it has been that helpful for each of us.

Section_31

I agree with Moa. Ive had almost no side effects.

I say almost, because when i went on wellbutrin, i had a "brain fog" going on for a good 2 to 3 weeks. My doctor told me about that and said to just hang on, that it would pass. It was my brains chemistry adjusting to the medication, it did pass and was only temporary, though it WAS unsettling, i cuoldnt think properly.

Once that was gone ive been fine ever since.

Eduardo

Every person is unique. In my case, social phobia is a biological disorder because I know that there's no reason to fear people. This condition runs in my family. I'm the first one to be brave enough to say that there's a problem. I started taking Paxil 37.8mg (Paroxetine) several years ago. It has worked very well on me. I used to blush out of control everytime somebody approached me. It was very embarrasing. Now the panic attacks are rare. I'm still a loner, but people don't terrify me anymore. This medication is expensive and has killed my libido, but it's still a great relief. I can have a functional life and feel comfortable when there's a social event. The problem is that it doesn't cure you, it just controls the nasty symptoms. Once you stop taking it, the symptoms are back. It is said that these disorders are caused by chemical imbalances in the brain.

D

deleted #89

Social phobia has to many variables and rarely has just one cause. Its a combination of the environment you grew up in, genetics,chemical imbalance, relationships, traumas etc..One thing for sure is that it all comes from your childhood. I wouldn't recommend medication they screw with your metabolism and slow your progress in the long run...

Jaspion

Thanks everybody!

Could you guys also reveal what degree of social phobia you have. I guess my social phobia is not that severe (U wont believe but my profession requires public speaking!) I managed to get by in the recent years (did some psychoterapy, NLP on my own:), just last week, had severe a panic attack in public during work...

Im trying to say is that i dont know whether I should risk taking it. Right now before public speaking I take propranolol and it helps. Only last time had to take more than one pill.

My doctor prescribed me paxil on the first meeting... Maybe he had the impression that propranolol is not enough and I may loose my job cause of my phobia (but I guess I can handle on propranolol)

Also do SSRI cause PERMANENT effects? Will it change my brain chemistry for good. Propranolol obviously wont.

Another strategy I was thinking of is simply to increase stressful situations in other than professional areas of my life. I noticed that after such stress other things that stressed me loose its effect on me. For ex I thought of trying box classes... or even acting classes

Did any of you try such strategy? On the other hand if its genetically programed in my head maybe I should take medicine if it helps for good??

Jaspion

I know thats a just a legal disclaimer but U never know ... maybe in my case....

Is the effect of such medication permanent in your and your boyfriends case?

Jaspion

Thanks Eduardo,

Thats what worries me - the effects are not permanent? But some psychologist years ago told me that some medication can change brain chemistry.

What I am worrying about is exactly sexual side effects.

By the way, about the blushing thing - I never had it, in my case it were shaking hands. But when I analyzed it I realized that one guy from my high school had SA, cause he blushed a lot. My point is, at the time I never noticed that! i mean I noticed he was blushing but from my perspective it was neutral, I didnt think he was ""inferior" or smth :) Of course I was VERY self conscious when my hands shaked even slightly

Jaspion

@ Mr Wonderful, yes I also heard that there is no specific cause. I my case it could be some genetic reasons (I have some evidence supporting this thought) that through time caused me to be more "fragile" than others, and then social causes appeared.

But is there really no way to verify brain chemistry?

Jaspion

Mr Eastwood :) so, you were fine ever since, but U still taking it? Fine ever since like no SA at all?? so... why are you here at this forum. I mean I am glad U are here:) just wanna know how is it like after years of this drug?

I believe every drug must have some side effects - its inevitable on the long run. The question is: maybe its worth to do a little bad for your body to heal the head? Thats my dilemma

D

deleted #89

@ Mr Wonderful, yes I also heard that there is no specific cause. I my case it could be some genetic reasons (I have some evidence supporting this thought) that through time caused me to be more "fragile" than others, and then social causes appeared.

But is there really no way to verify brain chemistry?

Actually there is. There is a study where a doctor took 2 people. Person A had depression/anxiety and person B had " nothing". The doctor then scan both brains and took pictures of them. The picture B had nothing abnormal but picture A clearly had different patterns and some parts of the brain where allot more active then usual. The study concluded that in the future doctors are going to be able to detect mental diseases by scanning the brain and looking at the patterns. BTW this is not a chemical imbalance issue...

Moa

I know thats a just a legal disclaimer but U never know ... maybe in my case....

Is the effect of such medication permanent in your and your boyfriends case?

We are both still taking our medication, so I don't know how either of us would feel if we stopped taking it.

My understanding is that some people have chemical imbalances that can be fixed by taking medication for a period of time (6 months to a year, I was told) and other people have chemical imbalances that can't be fixed, requiring that they take medication their entire life.