Can't believe I was thiking of doing this

UnbreakableShell

I was thiking of a plan to erase my past memories. So my plan was to move out somewhere far to a different city, or move real far away, purposely bash my head somewhere (or jump off a cliff not so high) that would cause just enough brain damage hoping I won't remember anything after I wake up (hopefully).

Do you guys think it's possible to do this on purpose?

Remus

Staff member
wish it was, I had a trauma in my childhood, no matter how I tired to forget it and block it out, the worse it became, I'm now dealing with it, even though a nightmare at times, its alot better than where I was

UnbreakableShell said:
I was thiking of a plan to erase my past memories. So my plan was to move out somewhere far to a different city, or move real far away, purposely bash my head somewhere (or jump off a cliff not so high) that would cause just enough brain damage hoping I won't remember anything after I wake up (hopefully).

I had fantasies about losing my memories and starting fresh but it goes without saying I wouldn't try that!

You could end up paralized, blind, deaf or dead.
Unless you don't mind going through life paralized, deaf, blind or dead I wouldn't try it.

Ummm... Is it possible to go through life dead??? :p
You get what I'm saying anyway.

Hellraising

Why don't you just forget it yourself? If you concentrate hard enough, you will make your mind block it. At least it works for me.

sensitive

UnbreakableShell said:

8O what sould i say?!!! are you serious? i can understand those who want to suicide to end their suffers but this is hard to imagine. as RiachardCunningham said you could end up paralised, blind etc. this is not practical, go and find a practical way to lose memory!!!

redlady

Oh man - the brain is a complicated and yet fragile organ-there is just far too much potential for that scenario to end in devastation :cry:

LittleMissScareAll

I heard if you just tell yourself to forget something or tell yourself to block the specific things from your brain, it supposedly works...but it has never worked for me. :? I guess it's worth trying though...apparently it worked for someone, or so she said it did.

black_mamba

But surely telling yourself to forget something only means you need to concentrate on what it was in the first place? :)

Yeah, bashing your head against a wall doesn't work but will result in pain / permament headaches / death. I know from experience. :lol: Yuoch!

Lost_Nomad

A good way to forget something is to not be reminded of it. Maybe the first part of your plan without the head bashing could work. Me too Iam always slaping and bashing my head. :?

sensitive said:
UnbreakableShell said:

8O what sould i say?!!! are you serious? i can understand those who want to suicide to end their suffers but this is hard to imagine. as RiachardCunningham said you could end up paralised, blind etc. this is not practical, go and find a practical way to lose memory!!!

Like making new, happy, joyful memories!

Ugh. I sound like a Hallmark card.

UnbreakableShell

Im actually worried about success. I can't imagine myself advancing in education (college, getting a job). What is this thing that is called that the government PAYS you to stay inside because you are afraid of the outside world or something, is there such thing ?

Is there a way I can get away with some kind of condition so I don't have to work ? Someone else will do shopping for me and I stay indoors all my life avoiding social contact except very few people ?

sensitive

UnbreakableShell said:
Im actually worried about success. I can't imagine myself advancing in education (college, getting a job). What is this thing that is called that the government PAYS you to stay inside because you are afraid of the outside world or something, is there such thing ?

Is there a way I can get away with some kind of condition so I don't have to work ? Someone else will do shopping for me and I stay indoors all my life avoiding social contact except very few people ?

you seem to have the severe form of SA UnbreakableShell (nice name) i feel sorry, you deserve to have a normal life like others. i am very sympathic to those who have severe SA, they usually can't go out, keep going to school etc. that could never happen to me, it is hard to got out but i can, i could be when going to scool but i can.

Farrizle

:roll: hmmm,forgetting about it,mentally blocking something out can help,but can also be quite bad for you.it's probably more beneficial to think it through,maybe talk about it with someone,but remember that its over now.& a classic movie phrase (can't remember where from) that you should try applying is "if it doesn't kill you,it'll only make you stronger"
lol,absolute genius that :lol:

Invisible_Alien

UnbreakableShell said:

I used to also flirt with the idea of waking up somewhere with amnesia and becoming a whole new person. I still do to a degree. I wish I could go join some shangra-la type community somewhere isolated in the mountains. The truth is that we are who we are and our past is part of who we are. Self inflicted amnesia isn't probable and definitely isn't safe. For those who try to run from the past, it almost always catches up with them. Maybe you sould try to somehow deal with whatever it is you want to forget.

I've also worried about success. The goverment does provide benefits for those who are disabled, so if a psychiatrist deems you too ill to go outside I'm sure you could get benefits. It would be a lengthy prcoess though, and you'd probably have to show that you were working on overcoming the condition. I'm not sure though.

Hellraising

black_mamba said:
But surely telling yourself to forget something only means you need to concentrate on what it was in the first place?

You know what... you're right! Actually I don't concentrate hard, I just tell myself to forget and I would. Here's a perfect example of how quick and effective it is for me:
I was playing the game Clue.

(For those who don't know that game, imagine a deck of cards, and a few cards had been taken out of that deck with no one seeing them. The remaining cards are distributed between players. So what the players have to do is to guess what those few cards are by asking questions to other players, trying to figure out what they have in hand, so you can cancel them out.)

Anyway, a player dropped one of his cards and I saw it. So that would give me an advantage. I told the other players that I'd just forget what it was and we'd continue playing, because it was too tedious to deal it again. And at the end, when I tried to guess what those few cards were, I guessed wrongly and actually one of my guesses was the card that I saw, the one that the player dropped.

J

black_mamba said:
But surely telling yourself to forget something only means you need to concentrate on what it was in the first place? :)

Exactly! That's why it can't work ... just try this little mental excercise on for size to see what I mean:

Don't think of an elephant.

Did anyone succeed? ;) Are you sure? :p

slightlyshy

When I first read your posted message, I was alarmed and felt sorry for you that you would resort to jumping off a cliff to erase certain memories.....then I realised that even for me -a few times in the past, when I was really upset, I had similar thoughts too (although mine were not so serious). That got me thinking.........if I thought what u said was quite irrational and so awful, then what about myself?

It has made me realise that my previous similar thoughts to u, is also so irrational. When u see someone go through teh same thing as u (but from a 3rd party perspective) you realise how wrong your own thoughts are...

I hope every can understand what I am trying to express....

Falling

UnbreakableShell said:

why you have to harm your self??? dont you know that there are people who are proffesions and can help you? harming your self will make things more bad... but seeking help will make you a new person... (i cant confirm that... but i'm waiting 4 days more for my first appointemnt with a psycologist)

and i know that you may be anxious in collage... (dont remind me my experience!!!) last year my first year at collage really sucked... but this year i'm seeking help from a psycologist and a i WILL do my best to make it better.

and i never called it a "life" when you stay all the day at home, you're just existing... not living.

don't you want to have a normal life? enjoying social events? meeting new people? achiving a good job?... if the answer is yes... there is help and is only a phone call away. and if the answer is no... than just go and fall down the cliffs with the hope that your existence will end there...

.. it's like you have a paper and you have to draw.. but you dont know how to draw.. there are 2 options... or seeking lessons or just stay staring of how beautiful can it be and do nothing about it.

START living! the magic wand is in your hand!

ColdFury

Falling said:
UnbreakableShell said:

why you have to harm your self??? dont you know that there are people who are proffesions and can help you? harming your self will make things more bad... but seeking help will make you a new person... (i cant confirm that... but i'm waiting 4 days more for my first appointemnt with a psycologist)

and i know that you may be anxious in collage... (dont remind me my experience!!!) last year my first year at collage really sucked... but this year i'm seeking help from a psycologist and a i WILL do my best to make it better.

and i never called it a "life" when you stay all the day at home, you're just existing... not living.

don't you want to have a normal life? enjoying social events? meeting new people? achiving a good job?... if the answer is yes... there is help and is only a phone call away. and if the answer is no... than just go and fall down the cliffs with the hope that your existence will end there...

.. it's like you have a paper and you have to draw.. but you dont know how to draw.. there are 2 options... or seeking lessons or just stay staring of how beautiful can it be and do nothing about it.

START living! the magic wand is in your hand!

You seem to have the delusion that psychologists can magically fix all your problems. I've been to a ton and I'm still messed up. I'm still waiting to have a "normal life".