Can't believe I was thiking of doing this

Falling

ColdFury said:
You seem to have the delusion that psychologists can magically fix all your problems. I've been to a ton and I'm still messed up. I'm still waiting to have a "normal life".

yes i have that idea... if you can't fix it on your own... i gues the better way is seeking help... is that not true?!

but also you have to have the strenght in you to overcome it.

racheH

I used to fantasise about having an amygdalomy. I'd still remember everything and so be able to learn from it, but never get a phobic feeling again. I'd be a perfect, rational being. More rational than everyone else, in fact... It was a dreadfully painful daydream to wake up from.

ColdFury

Falling said:
ColdFury said:
You seem to have the delusion that psychologists can magically fix all your problems. I've been to a ton and I'm still messed up. I'm still waiting to have a "normal life".

yes i have that idea... if you can't fix it on your own... i gues the better way is seeking help... is that not true?!

but also you have to have the strenght in you to overcome it.

I dislike it when people act like thats all somebody has to do and it will fix everything. Its not guaranteed to do anything.

I also hate the attitude that since something didn't work I didn't have the "strength" or "desire" or some such crap like that.

Falling

ColdFury said:
I dislike it when people act like thats all somebody has to do and it will fix everything. Its not guaranteed to do anything.

I also hate the attitude that since something didn't work I didn't have the "strength" or "desire" or some such crap like that.

Dear i dont know you personally... i can't say whay do you have and what do you don't... but having strentgh in you would lead you to most everything you want... so it si essential. but i agree that "its not guaranteed"... but does someone lose soemthing if he try? and i believe that someway or another it will help...

and why do you have to be so negative????? people need support and courage from us... and then they find someone like you telling them that will be sot of useless!

so what do you think someone should do with a problem like this? falling down the cliffs isnt an answer for sure! :roll:

funny u should say about forgetting your past because i often thought that & thought maybe i was the only one that thought that!
if i could forget allthe times iblushed &felt stupid for it i wouldnt be like i am today, but jesus man! dont go mashin ya head on walls u fruitcake lol

maggie

UnbreakableShell said:
I was thiking of a plan to erase my past memories. So my plan was to move out somewhere far to a different city, or move real far away, purposely bash my head somewhere (or jump off a cliff not so high) that would cause just enough brain damage hoping I won't remember anything after I wake up (hopefully).

Do you guys think it's possible to do this on purpose?
hiya UnbreakableShell.....i'm glad you decided not to do that :) ....i have some shit i'd like to forget too....and lots of times, the one and only thought that keeps me going is that maybe....somehow...tomorrow is gonna be a better day :wink:

racheH

KickBackNcotch said:
if i could forget allthe times iblushed &felt stupid for it i wouldnt be like i am today
An alternative is to understand what caused all those experiences in the past, proving them irrelevent to the future. That's what I did. It reduces anticipation anxiety a little bit at a time, until the phobia itself is unlearned. Eventually. :wink:

which is what my hypnotherapist & councilor told me,
trouble is we know all this but still continue to suffer where as we understand the reasons for all of our anxiety it seems impossible to solve.
i think a big part of it is we maybe thought to deeply about our problems & still continue to do so where as really we should be taking life less seriously!
oh well we'l keep tryin ay!

anyone else consider themselves a very deep thinker & think it maybe a bad thing?

racheH

Oh yeah, I'm a deep thinker. I'm pretty severely introverted, ie need a lot of time to daydream in peace or else get extremely stressed out with life. I think any mental problem that frequently causes distress will lead to someone becoming a deeper thinker. It can be used to our advantage, however. People's phobias often improve when hypnotherapy reveals what caused it. It doesn't cure it altogether, but makes it easier to do so if you have some things to tell yourself that you really believe. The trouble is, most people aren't in ideal circumstances to use these things effectively.

For example, my fear was very, very general - it went beyond fearing disapproval of myself and entered the realm of fearing the sight of people disapproving of other people. [Edit: No, not just feeling sorry for them deeply - they usually didn't even care about it - actually fearing it, as in having the same symptoms and feelings as if the disapproval were aimed at me.] All in all, it was a particularly complicated one and so I faced it many more times a day than I would have with a straight-forward, specific fear. This played to my advantage due to the way phobias work: the less time between exposures in which you reduce the fear experienced, the less likely is your brain to revert to the neuropathways that that make you feel fear. Little facts like these, they come in really handy.

That's part of what I mean about understanding what has caused you to respond in the way you do to what you fear. Literally learn how your phobia works, down to the smallest detail. Know your enemy :wink: Then, being a deep thinker, you can analyse past experiences, knowing what might have contributed to how you felt, to do better next time. It really can work; I'm living proof :) As I said though, personal circumstances are important. If someone's able to avoid being disapproved of very often, I think they're going to find it much tougher to cure a phobia of it. Better to be stuck with rejection a part of everyday life. But again, understanding these things will help because you can make changes to aid the process.

B

Wasn't there a movie about something like this? Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? It was a good movie. A movie worth checking out. A little off topic, I know.

UnbreakableShell said:
I was thiking of a plan to erase my past memories. So my plan was to move out somewhere far to a different city, or move real far away, purposely bash my head somewhere (or jump off a cliff not so high) that would cause just enough brain damage hoping I won't remember anything after I wake up (hopefully).

Do you guys think it's possible to do this on purpose?

Or you could try using NLP to reconstruct your past the way you see fit. Go into the memory, disassociate, step into it, change it, aso.. it is a very simple and powerful technique. If you have some bad memories I highly recommend it. NLP as Neuro Linguistic Programming.