Canceling plans last minute

ILovePocky

I do this all the time. I always tell my friends I'll hang out with them, and then when the day that we're going to hang out or do something together comes up, I kind of have a panic attack and end up canceling >.< Anyone else do this? I always feel really bad but I'm so uncomfortable leaving home and I feel so out of sorts around other people.

WeirdyMcGee

For the last 2 years, yes. Always.
Appointments, interviews, auditions, hanging out--- I'll text, email, phone, just not show up... anything I can do to not show up.

I get so nervous before I have to do anything-- I usually end up in the fetal position in bed; vomiting into a bucket. It's not pleasant and I haven't been able to pull myself together for long enough to get over the initial panic of having to leave my home.
I'm working on it.
One day maybe I'll be better in this respect... it feels really bad; letting people down constantly. Weighs heavily on my conscience.

Heekaru

I dont do that.. Once I say yes to going I feel forced to go, so I just never say yes to anything.

BleedTheFreak

This is a huge problem for me. I would do this all the time (when I actually had friends) and still have problems keeping my appointments. I feel awful afterward and it has made me refuse any offers from my family to go anywhere, because I'd rather say no to begin with rather make a promise I might not be able to keep and disappoint them even more. There are times when I'll make plans (just simple things for myself like going to the park just to get out of the house) or an appointment while in a good mood but when the time comes I just can't get out of the door.

DarkPhoenix

This is exactly what i done today, i feel so stupid and rude. I know from experience what the repercussions of blowing off your mates are, they just stop bothering with you. I probably deserve it.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

It's normal with a disorder like SA - it's a short term relief. I do this... I've burned some bridges by it because do it enough ppl wont bother asking you.

OR whatever it is not just going out with friends - but a class... Ive done that a lot last 2 years sadly - putting off till had to take it.

Most ppl dont understand... but it can change with help.

Quiet Angel

Wow it's nice to hear I'm not alone--other people do it too! It's definitely not a good habit because other people get disappointed. I basically try my best to push myself forward. I'm often glad that I have. It's just the preparation that usually feels the most hard. :)

P_Floyd

Unfortunately, I do the same.

That's the main reason why I never get invited to go to somewhere ::(:

Appointments, interviews, auditions, hanging out--- I'll text, email, phone, just not show up... anything I can do to not show up.

it feels really bad; letting people down constantly. Weighs heavily on my conscience.

I'm the same way. I'm constantly bailing on friends and interviews. I keep wondering why anyone every calls me back.

eek

Yes... the last time I did that I drove some people to the event and couldn't get out of the car. Whenever that type of thing happens at work it means I'm gonna get fired because it just snowballs from not calling in sick for a day to weeks where I just 'didn't show up'.

ILovePocky

I hate the lame excuses I always come up with when I do it. "I'm sick" or "My family needed me" get kind of worn out after awhile and I feel so guilty for lying. >.>

Deus_Ex_Lemur

or my favorite one to use, "uhmm, yeah, sorry, but I got somethin i gotta do..."

I like this one... "I know this is last minute but I gotta go fight crime tonight. Rain check!"

Yes. Delusional excuses are more fun. =)

Really tho - as I type this I got an email about meeting Saturday with my old HS friends. At one of their houses - I think why get out of it - and realize it's been 4 months since we last got together or I did with them and I just loathe catching up... as I have nothing new to say.

I also dont like going over to their houses I mean its not HS anymore lol Im gonna be 25... kinda just makes me feel like Ive never grown up which socially I havent. But thats why I cancel plans last minute with that group of friends.

bloveless

I don't even have friends to cancel. But I do cut classes because I can't bring myself to go. Sometimes I turn back from the parking lot. I went all the way to school but I lack energy to go in...

NewtoThis

I do this all the time, or I try to delay the event or something. The only times I ever do get together is with old friends or family and that's only if it's last second plans. If you give me a day to think about it, I'm probably gonna cancel.

bennos

A girl that was at school same time as me tracked me down on FB. She wanted to arrange a reunion, a 15 year reunion!! Yeah, I know I'm an oldie. Of course, I never replied to her or even accept her as a FB friend.

Oh gawd, just the thought of seeing all those school people again made me feel crap.

Yes, I'm a big time last minute cancel person. Makes me feel sh!t doing it. I got to sort this issue out. It's the worse... canceling on people at the last minute.

And by the way, all you younger peeps. Get some help/do something about it. Don't go through this for as long as I have (still am). Life can offer so much more! I have wasted so so much time, and am continuing to waste it.

Shant

Actually, I want to cancel plans at the last minute, but I never end up doing that. Ironically, the reason I don't want to cancel plans is because I'm too scared to contact the other person to cancel the plans in the first place. Err...

kidsmoke

yes, im guilty of this too. always end up cancelling last minute for seeing people and interviews, i'd even go to uni and then back out of going to class at the last minute even when i had full intentions of going. no one bothers to ask me to do things anymore but i'm kinda glad because the last time i did (this time last year) i felt very awkward and terrible afterwards. i don't know how i can stop myself from backing out of job interviews though.. i really need to get a job right now..