Can you mix xanax with lexapro and buspar?

Emma22w

Ok, so i'm 17, and i am currently taking 10mg Lexapro every night, and then 10mg buspirone too. I was just wondering if taking half a blue or orange or white xanax would mix and cause a reaction? I just need something to give me a calming effect, especially if i start working.

Remus

Staff member
Best ask a medical professional, this sort of question is beyond the scope of this site.

Remus

Staff member
I gather on SAS they do armchair diagnosis/prescription but we are limited by our webmaster and advertisers.

losttroy

Remus and Noca are right. Any questions that has to do with you potentially putting something into your body is very hardcore and warrants carefulness. We might be able to give you some positive assurances with our info & opinions. But to get the facts, you need a bloke with a Pharmaceutical degree.

DillJenkins

The facts:

Xanax preferentially binds to GABA(A) receptor which has a net effect of increasing inhibitory transmition in the brain. Its basically like an "off" switch for the firing of neurons.

Lexapro prevents serotonin from being reabsorbed in the synapse give a net effect of increased serotonergic transmition.

BuSpar mainly is a 5-HT1A partial agonist. This receptor site is also effected by Lexapro but there is little risk of serotonin syndrome because serotonin syndrome is primarily mediated by 5-HT2A overstimulation.

The interaction between the Lexapro and BuSpar is the only one that could theoretically produce bad effects. A pharmacist would know for sure if the combo is safe so I suggest contacting one.

You might want to read up on the following link as serotonin syndrome is the main danger when mixing different anti-depressants/anxiolytics.

Serotonin syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RICK MAYNE

I'm sure you will have no problem. I'm 17 and have taken all of those before. Lexapro sent me into a HORRIBLE anxiety only after 4 days, and usually that kind of medicine takes a week or two to start working. I'm pretty sure I had an allergic reaction. I couldn't even do anything it was that bad. Buspar didn't do much so I quit it. I've taken probably 8 or 9 different anti-depressant/anti-psychotic/anti-anxiety pills but I find that prozac and xanax help me most. Right now I am on prozac and am pretty satisfied. I also take xanax too so I don't think you'll encounter any problems. I only take it when I'm really anxious or I cannot sleep. Although in the past I have been addicted to it so make sure you don't take it too often, you can get H00KED! Other then that I have taken ativan which is very similar to xanax but I feel xanax is more sedating and does a much better job.