Can You Guys Relate to CoWorkers?

hobo10

I don't think it's that strange. I work in customer service jobs, talking to people pretty much all day, and I know how to deal with people in regards to the job, what to say, how to deal with different situations, etc.- like I have a script (or a bunch of scripts) down pat. Even answering the phone is no problem, there is a set way to answer it, and a set way to deal with whatever people are calling about. But I'm silent when it comes to talking about anything not job related. Another reason you could be good with the customers is if you're only going to see them once or a few times... for some it is easier to relax and talk with strangers you're never going to see again.

Wow, you have my job down to a T! Excellent with customers and job related issues, terrible with non-job issues.

thenothing

Hey. I saw your post and had to say something.

Now I've been working for the same company for 6 years. I recently got a promotion to a new department in the building. I'm working with all new people, people I've met over the 6 years, but never worked with, and some mornings, I'm flat out miserable.

Try to imagine, if you will: my office is all cubicles, except for the more important people who have offices, of course, and I'm part of a collection of 6 cubes, 3 side by side, with 3 other guys, roughly around my age, and two older women. On my side of the cubes, I'm in the middle, with the women in front and behind me. On the other side of the wall dividing are the other 3 guys.

All morning, and a lot throughout the day, they talk about sports. I live in the surrounding townships of Philadelphia, PA, and there's a lot of sports-crazy people. I was not brought up to watch sports, be interested in sports, participate in sports, nothing, so I have next to no interested in sports except for the commercials during the super bowl. To hear them talk about sports is painful. Sometime I think they talk about sports because they think they're supposed to. I'm not a relatively chatty person, but I like to engage in conversation every now and then, especially if I get a chance to geek out about video games, gadgets or computers.

Therein lies my other problem. Having a wall separate me from them. When they do talk about things I'm interested in, I feel odd just chiming in to talk about something. They'll quote lines from movies and laugh amongst themselves, and when I do, I barely get a chuckle. It makes me feel like a total outcast. I've gotten to a point where I never really want to talk to them out of fear that they think I'm just a joke.

This has led me to wanting to go back to my old position, where I was by myself all day, (except for my boss) but that wouldn't be any good for my financial or vocational situations.

LazyHermitCrab

Yes there are some things but i barely hear any conversations because i keep my distance. The problem is I can't jump into a conversation just because it seems interesting. There's one who talks to me for about five minutes but when he talks with the other guys i'm unable to approach them because they're in group form :(