Can someone please tell me how is this is possible.

FriendlyShadow

I was watching a movie called perks of being a wallflower and i think it was about some guy who was a social outcast, unpopular, getting r*ped by his aunt, his friend dying, and his aunt dying as well. Of course, at school the the usual *******s there beat on him and I guess call him names I think one of them being dick or something. Anyways, I DID at first begin to relate where he was coming from and his background(his sister dating a person who shouldn't actually deserve anyone at all for how he treats and his family overall.) However, throughout my perspective of him changed when he easily begins talking with extroverts and that they think there is something wrong with him just because he is too shy to say a word. Damn, I'm getting sick of movie like this. Some people aren't able to make friends easy, especially if they are extremely introverted for reasons. I hear in the movie the two friends expose him to drugs, sex, and other typical things a teenager would do. One girl is in love with and she was raped as well. But that's not what struck me there. There was actually a scene where he said he knows he should talk more. O_O really???? After of all you been through with constant tormenting, being forced by peers who get you to do something you are not comfortable with, beating up by horrible people, and even being a tragic event of forced sexual intercourse against you will! I don't get movies like this, I will never understand why good people(quiet people) think there's something wrong with them when they are not the problems. It's the PEOPLE who have put them through such harmful situations for the person to act the way he is. Don't people understand this. I think Charlie(I think that was his name) had a good reason to be quiet and to hide himself from others, you do not expect yourself to immediately gain self confidence while others treat you like garbage. It said in the end he was able to gain confidence and not be afraid of anyone, but that doesn't happen for some people though! some events will never be forgotten in their minds, hell, even I can't get over being quiet people because of how mean people are. Instead of him thinking he should change, maybe his friends should've realized where he was coming from and should've helped him to cope through with his issues, but no because every movie has to end with some fairytale ending. :kickingmyself: I feel sick after watching that.

FriendlyShadow

I'm even more dissapointed emma watson had to be involved. I thought she was at least good in the harry potter films, but this kind made me lose a little respect for her. Maybe enext time she won't be involved with movies like this ever again.

Isolated_Writer

Yeah, the book wasn't very good in my opinion. The writing itself wasn't very good but also the portrayal of the passive guy who despite being very introverted and having lots of issues, makes friends so easily and is able to put himself in these crazy social situations just didn't seem realistic from my experiences.

hexagon_sun

When introverts (such as myself) get mixed-up with extroverts (former friends) it is like a cork (introvert) bobbing up and down and getting swepped away by the ocean's current (extroverted friends partying). And sometimes that cork ends-up in some very uncomfortable places and situtations; not having the copying tools to deal with them... Speaking as a diminutive straight male, I've never been raped (that I recall) but there have been at least a couple of situtations that comes to memory where I came damn close... Drugs, run-ins with the law, generally just very ugly bad situtations.

The moral of the story is: choose your friends wisely. Extroverts often befriend "losers" to put themselves on a high pedestal. They get their mother Theresa merit badge and they get to compare themselves to you and make you the butt of jokes when they need a little ego boost. Stick with the geeks and weirdos. You'll be happier in the long run.

(P.S. stay away from the really friendly ones especially... they are more than likely malignant narcissists or people with NPD. They are like "psychological vampires" you will surely need extensive therapy after dealing people like that. And there are more of them in the world than you think....)

Last edited: