Camera Shy casuing issue at work. ADVISE\OPINIONS Needed! :)

uk_27

Camera Shyness Causing Issues At Work. ADVICE\OPINIONS NEEDED PLEASE! :)

Hey Peeps! Hope you’re all cool!  Ok, I remember in the past I started a thread about having your photo taken. If I remember rightly there was a balanced response of people who don’t mind and others, who like me, avoid. If I was in a very comfortable situation i.e. just me and my past girlfriend or with close friends, then it isn’t really a problem. It’s all other situations. Family do’s, nights out etc etc…………..
I dislike having my photo taken because I have built up a separate anxiety if you like. I don’t know how to act, stand, pose, whatever in front of the camera. I can’t even give a natural smile. Consequently I always hate the outcome.
Call me miserable if you like, but if I WANT (Yes, it’s MY decision!) my photo taken or if I WANT to be on camcorder, then I WILL request!!
Anyways……………….What’s brought this on you might ask? Well, the company I work for have decided it would be the best thing since sliced bread for everyone to upload a self photo on their Outlook contact card. Obviously that goes to internal and external recipients. Basically they are telling us to upload an image of ourselves to the internet. (Oh and this is a REQUIREMENT by the way. Not a request!)
I do enough avoiding social networking in the real world! I’m not having it forced upon me at work!
They way I see it they are in no position to tell us we have to it. They should be asking permission to use a digital image of me. (Even if they did ask politely, I’d still say no) Lol.
What are your opinions dudes? Am I totally over reacting?!!

Last edited:

uk_27

Hey Sunday. Thanks for the advice. :) I am half with you but the other half want's me to point out to them that demanding to use photos of their employees is illegal.

The company need MY permission to use a photo. Not the other way around. Sometimes I wonder how senior managers and HR teams get to where they are! :-/

Gieky

I don't blame you for being upset about that - seems kind of pointless for them to require a picture unless it directly affects your work. Look on the bright side... at least they are asking you to provide one of your choice giving you some control over it, instead of them taking one of you.

shutter

Ugh, sorry you have to go through with that. I completely understand why it would bother you. There is nothing I despise more than having to have my picture taken! Then people get all annoyed when I opt out or put a hand over my face. I don't think you are overreacting, I'd have the exact same reaction. At least you do get to choose the photo yourself right? That gives you have plenty of options there. I suppose it'd be worse if they had to take your picture themselves and you had no say in it.

uk_27

Hey peeps! :)

Thanks for your replies\advice.

I have made up my mind though. It's a data protection law. The employer has to ask consent from the employee to use a photograph.

What really annoyed me is an email went out saying basically "You have to supply a photo for us to plaster all over the internet" If it had been worded "Would anyone like to participate?" Maybe I would have felt differently.

Anyway, I haven't submitted one ans I know they cant make me. ;)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I dislike having my photo taken because I have built up a separate anxiety if you like. I don’t know how to act, stand, pose, whatever in front of the camera. I can’t even give a natural smile. Consequently I always hate the outcome.
I'm exactly the same way.
this is a REQUIREMENT by the way. Not a request!)
I've been in that same situation.
They way I see it they are in no position to tell us we have to it. They should be asking permission to use a digital image of me. (Even if they did ask politely, I’d still say no) Lol.
What are your opinions dudes? Am I totally over reacting?!!
Legally, you might could prevent them from making you do that. Maybe. If you made a big fuss an all.

Realistically, I really think that'd be a bad idea.

Unless you have another job lined up, you could really screw yourself trying to fight the people you work for on this, regardless of legal rights or moral rights. They have power, and that means a lot.

Most places have laws where an employer isn't allowed to fire you for no reason, for example.

Such laws are easy to bypass. They can look for or make up an excuse that works fine for paperwork and legal matters and still get rid of you if you're too much trouble, and in most cases a troublesome employee is easy to replace.

Walk carefully is my advice.

uk_27

Thanks for all your comments & advise people. Much appreciated. :) This is the great thing about this site. What is a pathetic issue to others is something people on here can relate to and actually know exactly where I am coming from!

I fully take on board your ideas and decisions. Thanks for contributing. I can see sense in them all but I have made up my mind.

If I want to upload my picture to the internet I will. Not before. If the HR dept, senior management team think differently, then it doesn't inspire confidence in me that they have a clue what they are talking about. However, I would be happy to educate them. :)