Bumped into an old friend

ImNotMyIllness

I don't why I have this uneasy feeling though. Kind of stressful. ::(:

New social interactions can be difficult enough.......I'll be fine. I just have to remember to keep telling myself that.

Last edited:
........That was strange. I bumped into an old Friend from High School. I actually went over to talk to him. He seemed down on his luck (although he put on a good face).

I asked to exchange numbers and said I would call him tomorrow.....He knew me before my mental illness took off.

I'm proud of myself that I had the courage to go over to him. I have been improving over the last few months. But, I still feel a bit fragile. I hope that I will be able to converse with him without being awkward. So far I have done well.

The old me would have ran in the other direction to avoid talking to him. I would also have felt like a loser for not having a job. But luckily, I no longer feel that way about myself. Despite my situation, I feel pretty content with who I am.

That is great that you have made good progress ImNotMyIllness.:thumbup:
I hope all goes well when you call him tomorrow.:)

EternalIce

Good job at conversing with your old friend... Personally I probably would have gone to great lengths to get out of there and hide :)

MikeyC

Very well done, mate! That took some guts but you got through it. Give yourself some credit because you've earned it. :)

You've also likely put a smile on your friend's face, since he seemed so down.

mikebird

Banned
I like it when it happens.

There is a wide range of people who are distant by common interests or locality.

Easily said.

Even people in the same postcode or town are rare meetings. Twice last week and yesterday - four of us. I knock on a friend's door when I'm around the area for any reason, with no response in about 2 years. Just a slight fringe of embarrassment... leading to an emotion of rejection which soon fades. Some luck like yesterday washes away all the empty years. Walking around with the friend spending all his time on the phone. Then the other 2 turn up to meet as I follow and we meet. This common interest of home and moving phone usage is a public addiction and a practical dislike for me. Good reminder of the advantage.

But he is hard to find or track down. Elusive. My closest neighbour generally says she doesn't know where he is.

Just one simple issue now. I wonder how long this will take to resolve. Might be an SA windup.

I bought an electrical socket panel to do make some changes in my home. The hardware shop was close to where he lives, and I struck gold to get a response to the doorbell for years. I left the kit in the main room and went out to get to the river but all the phone drama led us to various places. Bumped into another friend who's out of hospital, after some heart & lung trouble.

Two headed off. I spent a last moment with the recovered chap to say bye and already could see those seconds meant I lost track. I tried sprinting to catch up. From town centre I have exactly 13 different routes to get home. I don't know where this pair were heading. The woman lives next to me. I went my way. I expected they might take a bus. No way to know if they got back before or I did. I went to ring the bell. From general conversation, he might want to go to his Dad's place where I haven't been. But I got an answer to the bell next door, so I knew she was at home. I wasn't wanted to come in. Maybe they were spending the night together, but I think the intercom chat covers any privacy. Maybe it was hand signals to each, as you see when on the phone? And I do it. I wave hands or shake head, yeah? Meaning 'say I'm not here' Fine. Sent text. Back on the intercom the next day. She was still in bed. Come over later. I asked about the person I was trying to find again 'I don't know where he is'. I assume they're together in there now. I thought it was worth the walk, yet again... no result...probably a few more years to go again

All I want is my socket back. How? My regret of not taking it with me
Tell me. Do I overemphasise? It's all typed out from my memory of yesterday and today.

I like detail. I think it doesn't go well with anyone. Maybe what I'm missing in life is people to talk to
I don't think this will get me into a mental breakdown, but starting on a thought of buying another one... a limited budget. How long to wait? Wouldn't be surprised if this guy finds this socket on his sofa, takes it round the corner to the ironmongers for a refund because he doesn't need it, and gets some beers with the money. I might, if some freak left something lying around. I guess I don't know many people with more than one home. I rely on them to be found at home. They can come to me

My feelings now: I want to encounter any girl with any worries she wants to spill out and show emotions
I'm good for that. I would come up with a different solution

twisted SA

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it! I called him yesterday and we're going to hang out this weekend. :)

Steiner

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it! I called him yesterday and we're going to hang out this weekend. :)

Sounds great congrats.:thumbup: Try to keep in contact with him after hanging as well.

I had a situation like this where I met with an old friend and we seemed to have a good time, we went bowling and hanged out with some of my other old friends but then he stopped communicating with me afterwards even though he was the one who obsessed with wanting to hang out with spam on my facebook.

Just try not to get hurt since from experience it tends to feel bad to go out of your way to try reconnecting with people and having them turn your back on you.:idontknow:

jaim38

That's good. I will also be hanging out with an old friend from high school this weekend. The old me would have not done that. I hope it all goes well.