Bullying in the workplace

Carnation

Hi I have decided to put on here my version of what has been happening to me for a long time. I was teased a little although this was not too bad throughout school. Since I've been working, I have had to deal with varying degrees of being bullied. I put up with this for a long time as I thought because I'm an adult I should be able to cope with this. I have been in my current job for almost six months and I'm being subjected on an almost daily basis to verbal insults such as "oh she's so quiet, she never talks to anyone, she's got no social skills at all. I made a complaint about this and the abuse has stopped - at least in my face. Deep down I can't help feeling a bit of a failure because I didn't deal with the problem myself. I just wondered how many other people on this site have endured similar problems.

Last edited:

Darker Than Black

I had that too :( in almost all the places I've worked, two fast food restaurant, sobeys, and some others. They were like "why don't you talk"..and then after a while, they started picking on me, like pushing me, and gave me all the hardest work, and I was in grade 9 at the time, and once in grade 10, the other times, I didn't notice anyone saying thing like this, but I knew they were uncomfortable :(

2Crowded

I left school because of it..& because im a nice guy I figure i would be a prime target for the same in a factory setting...problem is Iv never gotten past the first day in a factory.

hoddesdon

Since the reasons mentioned are symptoms of social phobia, would telling the people concerned so have helped? Alternatively, since it is classed as a disability, use anti-discrimination laws. How I dealt with it was to make a complaint to the Human Rights Commission, which I won. That made me feel somewhat validated.