Boredom and Laziness

Sea Bass

Has anyone else on this site experienced extreme bouts of boredom and laziness?

I am currently partaking in a battle against these evil doers, boredom and laziness (B&L), and I have been on the losing end for quite some time now (about a little over a year). I think it has a lot to do with the current situation I am in. I have been in, as I see it, severe isolation for just about as long as I have been experiencing these dreaded emotions, or what ever they are. My life has lost direction and not being able to "shake off" B&L for so long has really drained me. It is extremely depressing. I meander around my house and do almost nothing. The few things that I do I do them absent minded and are, for the most part, a means to satiate this need that has arisen in me for stimulation. The thing for me now is immediacy. My pursuits are not of the "higher" kind, i.e., not things that have a delay in gratification like working on something mildly challenging and worthwhile. I have, as I see it, regressed back to the mode of being our ancient ancestors, cave men, primarily operated on. I am a "backwards" cave man -- i sleep, eat, a few other things, and that's about it.

Any suggestions for overcoming B&L?

sprode

All the time. Nothing's interesting and it all seems pointless.

I've been looking for an answer for about a year now but I don't think there's an answer to the above. Gotta have money, too, to even try...

idealist77

After slipping into a deep depression, I've habituated myself to living an extremely limited lifestyle. I often switch on the computer as soon as I wake up, skip meals or only prepare basic snacks and I leave my room in shambles.

I've been feeling a little more proactive lately and I'm not entirely sure why. I think coming off my break from uni has helped. I think the only way to find motivation is to start something constructive, even if your heart isn't really in it at first. I've started a free exercise program called 100 Push-Ups. It takes up very little time and gives me some sense of achievement.

Sea Bass

After slipping into a deep depression, I've habituated myself to living an extremely limited lifestyle. I often switch on the computer as soon as I wake up, skip meals or only prepare basic snacks and I leave my room in shambles.

I've been feeling a little more proactive lately and I'm not entirely sure why. I think coming off my break from uni has helped. I think the only way to find motivation is to start something constructive, even if your heart isn't really in it at first. I've started a free exercise program called 100 Push-Ups. It takes up very little time and gives me some sense of achievement.

Yeah, I switch on the computer when I wake up almost on a daily basis.

B

Beatrice

Yeah, I was like this for a while.... Still get like that these days, but I try to find things to keep me occupied...... unfortunately the main choice is the computer :/

Dr. Doom

Video games...reading? I don't know. These are the things I like to do most. I guess you could say that I have a bad case of B&L, or maybe chronic B&L since I've been pretty lazy and bored for years. Due to my social anxiety and general lack of interest, I haven't really tryed to make any teams or try any sports. No clubs. I think what I do is try to channel it into video games, comics, anime...probably things that contribute to my laziness but subtract from my boredom.

I don't know. I'm sure freinds would help ease the boredom and laziness...I guess what I'm saying is, find a hobby. My hobbies are video games, comics, anime ect. I guess it gets me out of the house somewhat. I drive to video game shops, I drive to book stores. I go to the good wills and thrift shops to fuel my hobby. I mean, I'm not really sure this is good advice, but a hobby could really help. Like, I'd probably be better off if my hobby was swimming or biking, but its not. At least I'm not trapped inside all day woundering what to do.

So yeah, hobbies.

Last edited:

Anomaly

I can relate, and I'll be willing to bet that most people can, as well. My parents, after coming home from work, don't really do anything besides relaxing (mainly watching TV) and attending to various menial tasks (e.g., cleaning). I think, given such a great amount of time, most people will struggle to use it efficiently, not to mention coming up with any particular sets of objectives that can be regarded as important and not simply day-to-day activities that allow life to keep going.

I can't claim to be an authority on this as there have been many days where I've done essentially nothing. Having some obligations (e.g., job, school, etc.) does seem to aid to efficiency in other parts of my life, but it ultimately remains my choice whether I will use the remaining time for something of importance, which leads to a question: What if one has nothing they see as important to invest their time into? My perspective comes from my unique background, but I think one ought to look to their interests and general likes first and continue from there. I suppose what I've written is very general, but that's the way it has to be.