BILL HICKS.

sleepysparrow

"Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye."

"It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one."

"I'm gonna share with you a vision that I had, cause I love you. And you feel it. You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense each year, trillions of dollars, correct? Instead -- just play with this -- if we spent that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world -- and it would pay for it many times over, not one human being excluded -- we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever in peace. Thank you very much. You've been great, I hope you enjoyed it."

"Go back to bed, America, your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed America, your goverment is in control. Here, here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up, go back to bed America, here is American Gladiators, here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their fucking skulls together and congratulate you on the living in the land of freedom. Here you go America - you are free to do what well tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!"

"Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs, I see through you."

"Wouldn't you like to see a positive LSD story on the news? To hear what it's all about, perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting? Just for once?
'Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration — that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.'"

"You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years — rrreal fucking high on drugs. The Beatles were so fucking high they let Ringo sing a few tunes. "

"I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. 'I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs.' 'I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking.' 'Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!' 'Shut up! Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control. Here's Love Connection. Watch this and get fat and stupid. By the way, keep drinking beer, you fucking morons.'"

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
sleepysparrow said:
"Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye."

"It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one."

"I'm gonna share with you a vision that I had, cause I love you. And you feel it. You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense each year, trillions of dollars, correct? Instead -- just play with this -- if we spent that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world -- and it would pay for it many times over, not one human being excluded -- we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever in peace. Thank you very much. You've been great, I hope you enjoyed it."

"Go back to bed, America, your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed America, your goverment is in control. Here, here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up, go back to bed America, here is American Gladiators, here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their fucking skulls together and congratulate you on the living in the land of freedom. Here you go America - you are free to do what well tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!"

"Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs, I see through you."

"Wouldn't you like to see a positive LSD story on the news? To hear what it's all about, perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting? Just for once?
'Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration — that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.'"

"You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years — rrreal fucking high on drugs. The Beatles were so fucking high they let Ringo sing a few tunes. "

"I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. 'I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs.' 'I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking.' 'Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!' 'Shut up! Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control. Here's Love Connection. Watch this and get fat and stupid. By the way, keep drinking beer, you fucking morons.'"

So you're a fan of Bill Hicks as well, sleepysparrow? Those 2nd and 3rd quotes are very true. The world would be a better, peaceful place if two quotes were to happen. And that last quote is the truest observation Bill ever made during his short career.

Bill Hicks - Another Dead Hero!!

By the way, sleepysparrow, have you ever heard of another American stand-up comedian called Doug Stanhope? He's quite similar, and often compared to Bill Hicks. If you like Hicks' stand-up then you might like Doug Stanhope. Although Stanhope isn't as philosophical as Hicks was.

sleepysparrow

I don't think i've heard of him, but I will definately check him out, thanks for the suggestion!

I also like George Carlin and Mitch Hedberg as well, too bad they aren't around anymore :(

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
sleepysparrow said:
I don't think i've heard of him, but I will definately check him out, thanks for the suggestion!

I also like George Carlin and Mitch Hedberg as well, too bad they aren't around anymore :(

I like them as well.

George Carlin changed stand-up comedy, for the better. Much like Bill Hicks, George had a point that went beyond his comedy, he wasn't just get up on stage with a microphone and telling joke after joke. He made you think, something comedy doesn't do often. He's a legend, who will be sadly missed. What more can be said about George Carlin that's hasn't already been said by all of his fans and fellow stand-up comedians alike.

Mitch Hedberg was great too - a legend long before his time. He had some much potential, he would've be a great successor to Steven Wright.

Yeah, it sad they're no longer around. There won't be another stand-up comic like George Carlin, that for sure. But I think stand-up comedy needs more comedians who just tell it like it is, and looking at some of stand-up comics who have become popular in recent years, there aren't many doing that.

And, oddly enough, I watched Bill Hicks - Sane Man again the other day, and there a bit during this show in which Bill says:

"I'm willing to die seven years before my time just so that I'll be cool every other day" - Ironic, but atleast Hicks, in a way, knew his own fate.

It just sad that, like Mitch Hedberg, Bill Hicks died so young.