Being perceived as pretentious/boring/weird/etc...(venting)

dan_e

I don't get it, one minute hes hanging around me being friendly and the next it's like I'm not even there.
What a jerk! People are so ignorant. I'd say stay from him, but I know how hard it is when you don't have many other people to choose from. Same happens to me. If its just me and 1 other person talking then someone else walks into the room, I disappear. Have you ever watched Will & Grace? To quote Karen when she went out to eat with Will & Grace: "Oh look! Better people!" Then she took off and left them at the table.

creep_x

People can say the meanest things to you & still think that was just funny
In short, people can be really cruel even without realizing that.
Maybe u shud let him know that u didn't think that was funny & he needs to learn some manners.

GloomySunday

To be fair to him, you did say that he realised his mistake and did apologise to you...so there's some hope, I guess. We all say stupid things sometimes. He clearly felt uncomfortable at that moment and made an inappropriate comment. I've done that. I'm sure we all have. Maybe you can work something out?

chris87

I never seem to experience these issues, because I rarely talk to anyone at school. I can't even make one friend. I wouldn't let what he said bother you though.

Moonie

I have had people say mean comments about me as well. I remember once in senior year, my English teacher assigned us groups for a skit we were to perform for the class. As soon as she was finished, one especially rude kid ran up to her and was like "I can't be in this group. ------ ------- doesn't talk!" I was so mortified. He was so adamant and obnoxious about it- that the teacher finally put him in another group.

That was seriously the closest I ever came to crying at school and in front of my classmates. During my next class, we watched a movie, and I cried in the darkness.

The good thing is, as a previous poster said, at least he apologized. Even though what he said was very rude, at least there is a part of him that knows he was wrong. I don't really know many people who would do that- after saying such things. I suppose another chance could not hurt. We all say stupid things at times- especially when we are in school (HS I assume?) I think, sometimes, people who really want to get to know you say some things like that just as a way to talk to you- or have something to say. They don't realize the consequnces of their words- they just want to say something. If you can, try saying 'hello' to him or say 'how are you.' He might make some snide remark about it, but he might get over it quickly and be pleased that you are talking back with him.

Erdkunde

Re: Being perceived as pretentious/boring/weird/etc...(venti

toothpastekisses said:
kept pointing out the fact that I'm not "bubbly like other girls"

This is a good thing. Bubbly people, especially bubbly girls, are extremely annoying. The word itself is grating. Excessive and unnecessary bubbliness may be a valued trait for some people but plenty of others hate it.

Preferred level of bubbliness on level of bubbliness spectrum:

<--(-10)------------(0)-x-----------(10)--->

recluse

I hate overly bubbly girls because they seem really fake. I prefer girls who are more reserved and real.

Shy_Gurl2007

Wow, this happens to me everyday in college. Lately, I've been able to go up and talk to different groups of people, without being too anxious. Then, when you think you've made progress on your social skills, someone has to point out that you are still quiet! I am always called "That girl" or the "quiet" one by my fellow classmates. No matter how hard I try to be social and talk to people, they still turn around and say I never try to talk to people. It's like, "I just tried to talk to you right now!" Practically, everyday I spend lunch in the Library because I can't stand to sit in the lunch room, I feel like the whole world is starting at me! It's like High school all over again! :(

alwmt

I would stay away from that guy. Some people are very rude and have no tact.

I have had similar experiences one in particular with a very mean teacher in high school, but I'm too tired to go into detail ( in fact this may be a very incoherent post.) Just because I don't respond in a way that you think is acceptable, does not mean that there is anything wrong with me. I know the even though people don't always say things to me they think that I'm weird and I'm okay with that. I call myself socially inept everyday.

NormanBates

I know how you feel. I am given the same treatment by "bubblier" individuals.. Until I change, I just accept it, keeping my visiting times short and sweet, even leaving when I sense that the time is turning sour.

JonnyD

Oh, don't know what to say to make you feel better :(, don't be sad please!

That guy was totally harsh! But it's up to you to JUDGE if he deserves your friendship.

Some very good friends of mine have said stupid things, i did too, but i think this is the kind of thing you need to judge, not in the sense of being biased, but in with fairness.

Is it a momentany flaw or he was meaning it?

I know it hurts the feeling, it's normal , have you accepted his appologies at heart?

don't know if i have the best mindset, i've hanged with people that only hurted me before, i think that in a friendship, both sides are important, you don't have to befriend with people that only hurt your feelings, but you need to accept people flaws too :)

You deserve the better :wink: