being in the present moment cures depression

hardy

A life not lived in the present moment is a life of delusion and unreality which causes all sorts of perverse situations in life and defilement’s in the mind, resulting in anxiety, tension, dissatisfaction, restlessness and suffering.

However as we learn to live and witness the truth of the present moment, automatically we begin to experience respite and freedom from these negative traits.

Sri S.N.Goenka

more on how to live in the present : Vipassana Meditation

may we be happy

MollyBeGood

I'll stay off the "cures all disease debate" thread, but Yes, this simple practice helps me a lot! I no longer dwell in the past like I used to, which made me want to end my life, and thinking of old age does the same so yeah, the present moment is where it is at and it is never as bad as we think it is!

MollyBeGood

It's actually interesting to me, I have left behind a long bad relationship and every time something about it creeps back into my mind I have this blocking ability to shut it out. I have been drunk a few times in the past, about 1 1/2 yrs ago and I wasn't not able to do this due to alcohol and I made myself literally sick from these thoughts-the booze killed my power and the thoughts made me ill. They all came pouring back in my brain and took over. Needlesstosay I don't like to drink that much anymore b/c it makes my mind a weak mess.

andsorry

I try to stay in the present, but I can't help but compare events that seem to resurface time after time.

Lilly789

This method assumes a previous traumatic event, or life, and these things are NOT pre-requisites for depression.

It might *assist* *some* people in *some* situations, but generally shows a lack of understanding of what depression actually is.

Whoopdeedoo

I agree my depression is pain from the past
Anxiety for the future
That robs my now
Its good advise hard to follow
Easy to say and not easy to do
Depression is a parasite that consumes and robs it host
It gives nothing
And takes all

Richey

The only time i can consistently live in the moment is when i drink beer...

It is literally the only way i can relax and just not worry about stuff..