Being hounded by the government; Too scared to answer the phone

Forgotten-Children

It seems that I had a slim glimer of hope when I had my job at Maid Rite while it lasted.. Then the place had to go and shut down. Well atleast I had my 2 pay checks right? No... The money had to be STOLEN by my sister for her "fun time".

Right now I've been making an effort to get a new job around town but no one was highering during the Thanksgiving holiday so I figured I'd try to get a job after Christmas time... But here's the thing... It seems the government are deciding to be Scrooges to me and are asking me for the money to payback my debt 5 days before Christmas even!

I got a call from a phone with "US Government" as the ID and I was just too scared to answer the phone because I don't have the money and I keep telling them I'm trying to get a job to pay it all back but they can't seem to understand that. Or if they do, they're jut money grubbing a*sholes that KNOW the economy is bad but still pressure any of the classes to pay them whatever amount they want right away. My family is not rich and never will be. If we were, I wouldn't BE in this situation right now! I'm trying to get a job, but the only person who even CONSIDERED to give me one, went under...

I mean, I dunno if the call was really meant for me but I didn't want to take the chance and have them ask where the money is when I don't have a penny to my name...

I dunno... What should I really do? I mean, I've cnsidered Welfare but my parents would never allow me to get it because they HAAATE people who are on it and say that they're lazy and selfish...

I just... Wish this could all just be blown away. I dropped out of college for my health because if I didn't, I would have killed myself by now because of the pent up anxiety of being around so many people. Not to mention the bad daydreams and flashbacks to bullying along with it! But the government just doesn't seem to care about that... They'd rather have money than a citizen in this so-called "Land of the free".... I bet our forefathers are turning in their graves knowing what the United States has become...

I'm just at a loss of fear right now...

Last edited:

Feathers

((hugs)) RELAX, breathe in, breathe out...

Hmm, is it money for tuition/college that you'd need to pay back? Can you get an extension on that?
Can you call someone, like a counsellor, about the debt? There are people who can advise you for free, I think... There is some advice online and in books too, even some YouTube videos.. You could maybe google 'debt counselling' or such, read about that as much as you can first.. Be very careful that they are legit etc though. (and that there aren't any hidden fees or 'rules'..) apparently you need to find a non-profit that can help you, names are different in UK or in USA... See if there's anything locally?

Do you know anyone with a similar debt - how did they handle it? Maybe google the name of whoever gave you the money+ debt and maybe + extension, to see if there is any advice online..

I was required to pay back a scholarship but could get an extension (until I finished the studies)..

Good for you for getting a job and 2 paychecks!! Hope you can find a job again!!

Do your parents need to know if you'd be on welfare or not? (How could they find out?) Do you know anyone on welfare, can they tell you what sort of mail you'd get? Could you get any mail to a different address than your parents'? (Maybe grandma's or such? Or would you need an official address for that?)
Can your parents or any other relatives lend you the money to pay back the loan? (Or at least some of it?) And then you can slowly re-pay them?

Hope you've taken steps to prevent anyone from taking your paycheck again...

Last edited:

Forgotten-Children

((hugs)) RELAX, breathe in, breathe out...

Hmm, is it money for tuition/college that you'd need to pay back? Can you get an extension on that?
Can you call someone, like a counsellor, about the debt? There are people who can advise you for free, I think... There is some advice online and in books too, even some YouTube videos.. You could maybe google 'debt counselling' or such, read about that as much as you can first.. Be very careful that they are legit etc though. (and that there aren't any hidden fees or 'rules'..)

Do you know anyone with a similar debt - how did they handle it? Maybe google the name of whoever gave you the money+ debt and maybe + extension, to see if there is any advice online..

I was required to pay back a scholarship but could get an extension (until I finished the studies)..

Good for you for getting a job and 2 paychecks!! Hope you can find a job again!!

Do your parents need to know if you'd be on welfare or not? (How could they find out?) Do you know anyone on welfare, can they tell you what sort of mail you'd get? Could you get any mail to a different address than your parents'? (Maybe grandma's or such? Or would you need an official address for that?)
Can your parents or any other relatives lend you the money to pay back the loan? (Or at least some of it?) And then you can slowly re-pay them?

Hope you've taken steps to prevent anyone from taking your paycheck again...

*hugs back*

Well yeah. I got a loan to attend college but when I dropped out it was too late to get it refunded.

I can't eally talk to a therapist anymore because it costs too much money. I mean, I had a therapist during the beginning of this year but my mom stopped taking me after a few weeks.

Well my parents are going through a major debt right now but they just work pretty much overtime with their jobs just to keep the family afloat. But we're never going to have any fun stuff hardly ever again. We just barely have enough money to survive.

I doubt I'll have an extension. It's been over a year since I dropped out.

Yeah... I really hope so too. You have no idea.

have no way of driving to the next ciy (No car or licence) to get it nor do I have the money for a bus pass. Even if I did, I would arive at home after my parents do.

I already got a new card so my sister won't be getting any more money out of me unless it's an emergancy.

This reads like an old black and white detective movie.

What do you mean?

Last edited:

Feathers

I meant debt-counselling: for example see this: Debt Problems: What to do & where to get help... (though another site says 'non-profit' doesn't mean anything in USA, and that it's widely unregulated, so you need to research and read things carefully...)
That forum might be helpful for you, there's a section for people who want to be debt-free, with some info/feedback about reliable debt counselling agencies.. MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

You want to be careful with debt counselling services though, and double-check and verify any feedback, Wikipedia warns there may be hidden costs or such: Credit counseling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you google 'debt counsellor' you can get more info and links..

There is info for student debts specifically if you google eg 'student loan debt counsellor' - eg this article: Top 3 Places to Find Student Loan Debt Counseling (not sure how reliable that link is, so maybe stay away from it, but the info in the article may be good - at least contact your old college or any near community college and ask if they offer any help?)

*hugs back*

Well yeah. I got a loan to attend college but when I dropped out it was too late to get it refunded.

I can't eally talk to a therapist anymore because it costs too much money. I mean, I had a therapist during the beginning of this year but my mom stopped taking me after a few weeks.

Well my parents are going through a major debt right now but they just work pretty much overtime with their jobs just to keep the family afloat. But we're never going to have any fun stuff hardly ever again. We just barely have enough money to survive.
Sorry to hear about it, hope things get better soon!!
A friend of mine had parents in debt too, she was really miserable about it.. I think things are better for them now though.. And she's working and living on her own, away from home, so it's easier..

good to know you still have money to survive.. Sometimes times like this can really show you how little you can survive with, and even if it sucks right now, this may sorta prove helpful in the future, for learning to budget and live with low income etc. You can have fun stuff for free or with very little money too!!

I doubt I'll have an extension. It's been over a year since I dropped out.
Have you talked to the people who loaned the money to you since last year? It may always be good to contact them, and let them know of your situation..

have no way of driving to the next ciy (No car or licence) to get it nor do I have the money for a bus pass. Even if I did, I would arive at home after my parents do.
Is there a carpooling/car-sharing website with people from your city? There are quite some websites and even a Facebook application online..
Do you know anyone who works or studies in that city? You could get a free ride (or cheaper), especially if it's any friends or relatives, or neighbours.. Or can you get money for a bus ticket?

I already got a new card so my sister won't be getting any more money out of me unless it's an emergancy.
Good to know, hide it and hide any info... (don't have card and pin number together, keep'em separately and maybe 'in code' so it's disguised as something else..) Don't give money to your sis even if it's an 'emergency' - at least until she pays you back.. It sounds like she just exploited you? Maybe she needs to learn a few things about life & money?

Anyway, hope you manage to get educated and to get help on this!!

Last edited:

Forgotten-Children

@ Feathers

I clicked on the first link and I guess going by what the guy says, I'm in a debt crisis because I have no money towards my debt and with my college debt together with my hospital (psyche ward) stay debt I have well over $6000 in the hole right now because since I'm an adult, I'm not longer on my dad's insurance thus don't have any insurance of my own yet. My debt may even be larger than that...

My parent's have gone for the Wal-Mart knock off stuff as far as food goes. We're not too woried about food perse because my dad's a hunter and he already shot a deer so we atleast have deer jerky to get us through part of the winter.

Well no, I mean I don't even know where I can contact them again because my mom basically did the major work of getting me into college (She even decided what classes I would have to take). All I had to do was sign on the bottom line of the paperwork.

Not that I know of. I hardly know anyone in town, including neighbors. (Even with my classmates in HighSchool, they live out of town so I have no way of contacting them anymore).

She needs to learn ALOT of things, yeah... Right now she's in the ward for ODing because she's a spoiled brat basically... She wanted her meds changed but mom said it would be too expensive. What does Jenny do? She takes all her meds and calls the ambulance on herself which costs us like 10 times as much as it would had we had her meds changed...

I have no idea how she's gonna pay me back. (Although grandma gave all of us Christmas money so she got $50. She owes me around $190 still if I count that as payment to the money she owes me. But I'm not sure if she's going to pay it back because she may be kicked out of the house permanantly because mom and dad are fed up with her and her actions.)

Educated? Maybe with dealing with all these problems but I'm NEVER going back to school if that's what you mean. I've hated school ever since Kindergarten. I just kept thinking of what the future could be once I'm out (Although the future I dreamt of is never gonna happen anyway)

Feathers

Yeah, I meant educated about the financial things, lol.

Can you tell Grandma about it and maybe she can give the money intended for your sis to you directly, and explain it to her? (that sis needs to repay the money to you)

Can you ask mom about the college/lender and ask to see the paperwork? (Or do you know where she keeps those papers?) Maybe she could even help you with repaying the debt etc? To find out who to contact etc.
Or google up the college and look at their website, find a phone number and call them. Ask if they have a financial advisor or something (check that ezine article for exact job title), if they can give you a phone number or advice who to turn to. If they don't know, ask who might know or who could help you.

There may be help for hospitals debts too...

good to hear you can eat and have a place to live..

If I remember right, you might have Asperger's? Some info about possible benefits here: Disability benefits in the US, Canada, Europe, etc. - Asperger's Syndrome - MedHelp (apparently it's not a lot, depends where you live though.. Where I live this is not so little money..)

he he I hated school too, even hated kindergarten, much of the time.. I still managed to finish university... some people also decide to study later on and get degrees and cool careers, even if the first try didn't go well...

I'll post some carpooling websites for you, haven't checked them, just googled them up... if you do this, be careful, ideally find a ride with a woman or so..
Carpool Herndon (VA) Rideshare Virginia United States Vanpool USA or eRideShare.com Carpool / Rideshare Community, some more sites listed here: Ride Share, Ride Share Services | GreenStudentU.com
if you google 'rideshare' there may be more sites... even some iphone applications (not sure if you have an iphone?)
some good stories here: 511.org - Rideshare
If you found a good ride-sharing/car-pooling option, you could even look for jobs in the next city?
Of course, be safe with this and ideally meet anyone in a public place first, without giving out any details etc!!

Forgotten-Children

Well I already have the money that was intended for her. No real point in asking her when I already have it.

She doesn't keep track of the paperwork... :/ It's long gone by now. And she won't help me out with the debt because I asked her a number of times. She just falls back on the excuse that she's too far in her own debt to worry about mine..

I just gave up on disability... They're not gonna give it to me because the government still thinks I'm capable of dealing with a minor job. (Which was even proven since I was actually doing well when I was at Maid Rite). Before I got the job there, I applied for disability and they declined me of it 4 times! There' no way in hell they'll give it to me now, if they didn't then...

Trust me... Chances are, as far as what I can see in my future is, I won't go back. I mean, I can have a minor job (if it's actually given to me) and I'll live at my boyfriend's mom's house. When I'm old, I'll probably be put in a retirement home or something because I know I won't have the money to have my own place unless the house is already paid for by my family before they pass on the place to me (if they ever decide to do so.) Honestly, at this point, I don't really care where I live in the late future.

Well... Thanks for looking it up but I have a REAL hard time trusting people in real life. Strangers are want caused my anxiety to begin with. Plus my parents nor boyfriend would approve of me just meeting someone out of the blue that I don't know for well... anything.

This isn't completely related to the subject but when I was walking to the bank to deposit my Christmas money, a thought crossed my mind when I reached the crosswalk over the highway. A bad thought, I know but I had a mix of emotions going on today after that call I got.. Basically I thought that what if I stepped in front of one of the cars and have it hit me? If I survived I could have gotten money out of it. I mean, I obviously didn't do that because I'm still hear and no bones are shattered. But I find it sad that I have those thoughts now because of my situation...

Feathers

Okay, you've explored some of the options then...

Honey, it's just $6.000!!

Not worth stepping in front of a car or doing anything stupid!! What if something went wrong? Your boyfriend would miss you!! And we'd miss you here, terribly!!

I'm sorry to hear about your mom not wanting to help!! - Maybe you can be your own detective then? Do you know the name of the college you went to? Can you google them up, and ask to speak to someone who can help?
(You could send an e-mail too, talking on the phone might be better though!!)
Ask if they have your file and if they could tell you the details and give you help? Maybe you could do it all via phone and internet and they could send some things by mail?

Find out in whose name are the debts? If the debts are in your parents' name, then they can deal with it, if it's in your name, you better find out and deal with it!
Also find out what happens if you don't pay by that designated day. The creditors might still prefer to get some amounts in payments and over a longer period of time than not get it at all! So you might get an extension or something..
What is the interest rate? Can you get something cheaper/better that is legit? Some people re-finance the loans... (Might wanna be careful with this though too, read the fine print etc...)

Do you know any family members or friends who are accountants? And could help with paperwork? Or is there a local charity that could help? (My mom is an accountant and has helped some people with paperwork, but we live in a different country half across the planet!! and things are different here...)

Worst case you could still go bankrupt I think, not sure if it's wise though in your case, for such a small amount of money... It may affect some things in the future, you might wanna learn more about it though... Some people have had much bigger debts and still managed to pay them off/are paying them off! Have you looked at the moneysaving forums? You might wanna make an account there and get advice from others?

In my country, if people don't have the money, they don't have the money... And no one can take it from them then.. You might wanna check how it's over there though... (Would you have to sign up for unemployment to be exempt from payments etc?)

I misunderstood you about granny and money then, good you got it already!!

Anyway, please take care and hang in there... It's a tough situation but you seem strong and I'm sure you can go through this and figure out something!!

Forgotten-Children

Just $6,000?! That's ALOT of money to me since I'm only had like... less than $300!

I had no intension of killing myself had I actually done it. (I haven't really had any suicidal thoughts lately which is great.) I just get a bit hit and stunned enough to maybe be payed some money (God... that makes me sound horrible now but I can think of some nasty things whenever I'm upset)

Yeah I know it.

I can send them an E-Mail I suppose but talking on the phone is a whole different thing for me. I mean, I really hate to talk verbally. I'd rather just type out what I say because I can get all the information out this way without having to worry about not being understood or not.

I know they're all in my name.

My mom used to work as an accountant. Now she's a nurse. But if she won't help me, I don't really know anyone else. And I don't know of any charities nearby that'll help my problem.

Well money saving really isn't the issue because when I spend money, I don't buy big things. I mean, the most costly thing I bought recently was a $35 lamp for my mom-in-law for Christmas.

I checked up on unemployment already but you have to be working for atleast a year with other stuff involved I think. :/ I was only working at my job for like 3 weeks.

I just really hope so... I mean... I know this can't keep going on and I don't want it to. I mean I want to have this paid off so I can stop being hounded but if it goes on for a long period of time, will they actually come after me? I mean... THAT'S what I'm scared of. I mean I'll pay it either way but I just don't want to be put in jail just because my whole town decides to say "Nope. No job for you. You can go rot in hell for all I care."

Last edited:

Forgotten-Children

Wow, sounds like a ****ty system you have over there. Over here we don't have to pay for University up front, we get taxed over a period of time later on once we're earning over a certain income. If you lose you're income at any point the tax stops until you're earning enough money again.

I would take the welfare. There's no shame in doing that in you're situation. You know you're not doing so because you're one of those 'lazy, selfish' types and that's all that matters. You just need to get you're head above water first before you start worrying about pride right?

Well I would take it in a heart beat knowing my own situation. It's just my parents who won't let me. And I told them about it and how it would help me get out of this rut t help pay the debt until I got a job, then I would get off of it, but they jst REFUSE to see me on it... I dunno..