Being fun and teasing/funny at work

Richey

i work in a group of 7-8 people and really i am the only person who can't give sarcasm and teasing back to people who like to play around simply because i can't think of anything decent to respond with, in fact there have been times where i try to be playful and i say something in return to be funny but i've actually said something really awkward and a little bitter instead which is really not what i wanted ...so now i'm literally far too afraid to even try to be sarcastic or to tease people back ..so instead i just laugh and respond seriously ...

its a bit of a nightmare to be honest, i mean i can tell its probably a bit of a drag for the others as well...

i really need to get out of this job i think ...

the problem is i can laugh at peoples humour but i really struggle with being fun and funny mainly because i'm never relaxed at work and i've never been relaxed at work, i've tried chewing gum and drinking more water, maybe its just me fighting against my personality as well and also that i never grew up with close relationships where you tease each other etc so i don't have the knack, ...

Ignace

It's all about the connection with your partners. If you feel comfortable you will be funny and be able to respond well. Just people who showed they aren't really a fan of you are tough to talk with. At least it's like that here.

IAMN

i work in a group of 7-8 people and really i am the only person who can't give sarcasm and teasing back to people who like to play around simply because i can't think of anything decent to respond with, in fact there have been times where i try to be playful and i say something in return to be funny but i've actually said something really awkward and a little bitter instead which is really not what i wanted ...so now i'm literally far too afraid to even try to be sarcastic or to tease people back ..so instead i just laugh and respond seriously ...

its a bit of a nightmare to be honest, i mean i can tell its probably a bit of a drag for the others as well...

the problem is i can laugh at peoples humour but i really struggle with being fun and funny mainly because i'm never relaxed at work and i've never been relaxed at work, i've tried chewing gum and drinking more water, maybe its just me fighting against my personality as well and also that i never grew up with close relationships where you tease each other etc so i don't have the knack, ...

I also work at a small company as you full of talkers. What I found best, not just with coworkers but people in general, is just say what's on your mind. If they are talking about software upgrades and you happen to be thinking of clowns... go ahead and just speak your mind. You'll probably feel a bit embarrassed after but I'm betting you'll feel worst never saying a thing in the first place. If it happens you aren't interested in the conversation, just walk away and do your work... it is a job. Picture everyone with the same fear and doubts you have, that's what gets me through a lot of days.

Rembrandt Broam

I find these situations very awkward. Even if I think of something funny to say, my paranoia kicks in and prevents me from speaking. I'd really need about an hour to go over what I was about to say, thinking of all the possible misinterpretations, which kills the spontaneity a little. The fear of saying the wrong thing, and being met with a response of confusion mixed with mild contempt is enough to keep me silent and about my work.

sevenroses

That just happened to me on Thursday before my two days off I was heading out the door from work and a coworker made a little joke saying they won't report me etc and I didn't know how to respond so I just said "okay whatever" in a shy, nice, hehe kinda way and that person just gave me a look of disappointment or something.

Earlier that day this coworker kept telling jokes and my other coworker kept responding back while I didn't say anything because I didn't really know what to say except but smile because I thought it was still funny but didn't know what to say. After he tells his joke the other coworker looks at me and says "right Chris" because I was silent. I said right then in a friendly way with a smile but he looks at me all disappointment. Then he tells more jokes and says "Right Chris?" in the end. I hate it sometimes.

I wasn't trying to be mean when I was quiet I thought the jokes were funny too but it's just that I don't what what to say after the joke.

Last edited: